Floor Shifting Conversion Instructions

digitaloutsider

Since I've been asked how to convert column shifting to console shifting quite a few times, I've decided to do a write-up on the matter. Here goes.

What you need:

Console

Bucket Seats

Shifter Assembly

Steering Column without shift lever *

Gauge Cluster without gear indicator *

Shifter Cable (Runs from metal shifter assembly to the transmission)

Key Interlock Cable and Mounting Bracket (Runs from shifter assembly to column)

Mounting Clips (Slide into the floor pan; Have studs on them to mount the assembly to)

WARNING: When removing and installing the new seats, do NOT touch the forward/back adjustment lever. Doing so will knock the runners out of alignment, and it's a major bitch to get them re-aligned properly. In other words, don't do it.

* = Optional

Getting Started (Junkyard Work):

Most likely, all of the conversion parts will come from a junkyard car. You can use either a coupe or sedan. Note that it's incredibly difficult to remove the shifter cable from certain cars. I've seen GM route the cable in different ways (mostly sedans). Some run through the column shifting hole (near the steering column, through a rubber gromet). OTHERS have the cable run straight up under the dash and come out near the rear valve cover (2.8/3.1). All manual transmission cars route it this way. These are the PITA cars. When we converted my car, the dash of the junkyard car had to practically be removed completely (down to the bare metal). You probably won't have to do this, but it does make the job tons easier.

To remove the shifter cable simply pop it off of the shifter assembly. You can pry it with a screwdriver or use the simple method of pulling it off of the metal tab that it clicks onto. Unbolt the other end from the transmission. The cable is routed into a rubber gromet when it goes through the firewall. On the cars with the more difficult cable placement, this is quite a job to remove. Feel free to cut up or mutilate the gromet on the junkyard car. You won't be using it.

Next, you have to take off the key/shift interlock. This is the cable that prevents the shifter from moving when there's no key in the ignition. Manual transmission cars will obviously not have it. Removing it from the shifter assembly is the same as the shifter cable, it pops right off. To remove it from the column, drop down the column by removing the 4 bolts holding it up. The sizes are 15 and 17mm if I'm not mistaken. The end of the interlock cable is held on by two small screws. Side note: You don't really have to swap out steering columns when you move to console shifting. Even the column shifting cars have the provisions for this cable. Obviously, you should remove the column shifting lever. Leaving it there would be.. stupid.

The seats are pretty straightforward to remove. You don't need the reverse-torx bits to remove them. A simple socket will work. You will need to move the seats completely forward to get to the rear bolts, however. On a car with power seats, this can be difficult in a junkyard. Bring along either a small battery or jumper pack. Connect it to the battery cable terminals or directly wire it by removing the switch from the side of the seat. Ask Dave (Gearhead43) on which pinouts to put the power to. I don't remember at the moment.

The shifting assembly and mounting clips are the easiest to remove. Unbolt the shifter assembly and pull it off. Use a screwdriver and pry up the clips.

Installation:

Remove the seats from your car. Remove the trim around the bottom of the doors. Pull the carpet back so you can see the ducts that go under the seats and the insulation that goes over the "hump" in the middle of the floor pan. Cut the insulation around this area. You should now be able to see the cutouts in the floor that accomidate the mounting clips. Insert the clips into the floor and bolt down the shifter assembly. If it doesn't fit right the first time, take the clips out and TURN THEM AROUND.

Next, pull down your column. If you're swapping in the console-shifting column you can skip this part. Clip the key/interlock cable onto the shifter assembly. Run the other end to the column and screw it to the bracket where you took it off in the junkyard. Now, remove the shifter cable from the column. Unbolt it from the transmission. Have a friend/enemy help you fish it through the firewall. DO NOT DESTROY THIS GROMET. You will have to reuse it.

Here comes the fun part. Clip the (console shifting) shifter cable to the assembly. Route it up behind the pedals and put it through the same gromet you pulled the old cable out of. Bolt it to the transmission. Chock the wheels and turn the key to the "ON" position. Do not start the engine. Check to make sure the shifter assembly is moving properly and that there is no kinking. Be sure that the transmission is changing positions (i.e Put the car in reverse and see if the back-up lights come on). Bolt the column up. You're on your own on this one, but cut the carpet so that the shifter assembly can fit with no problems. Install the console and new seats. YOU'RE DONE!

Now, go take a ride in your new console-shifting W-body! If you run into any other problems, PM me and I'll help you out. Have fun!

• 3 years later...