To Polish or Not to Polish

jeremy

To polish or not to polish  

1. 1. To polish or not to polish

• Polish them ASAP
    • Leave them as is

I just wanted to get a general opinion....I am seriously considering polishing my cutty 5 spokes. I have one quick question if I decide to do it, what do I use to remove the clearcoat? or do I just start sanding?

jeremy why would you remove the clearcoat??? :confused:

Why don't you just clean them first and then put something like bluemagic or mothers on them?

I am considering Hi-polishing them for a "chrome-like mirror" finish....you would have to remove the clearcoat to do that....

It's not just clearcoat, but a layer of silver paint too.

They look good hi-polished. Paul ("pbender" on the forum) has the factory 5-stars hi-polished and it looks real good. On a black car, it would look a LOT better than the factory silver painted.

jeremy why would you remove the clearcoat??? :confused:

Why don't you just clean them first and then put something like bluemagic or mothers on them?

I am considering Hi-polishing them for a "chrome-like mirror" finish....you would have to remove the clearcoat to do that....

okay you didn't say refinish that'd been the key :P polish is usually used to signify "shine" lol! :lol:

I would save them as winter wheels and buy some aftermarket wheels instead of doing all that work..

I haven't seen those wheels refinished though if there are pics that would be cool to see.

I'd get some aircraft paint stripper, spray the rims with that stuff to remove the paint and clearcoat. Then sand them to a shine, and have them clearcoated (either professionally or yourself).. That's what I always wanted to do with my Cutlass rims, but I never got around to doing it.

that aircraft grade remover stuff won't eat through tires, will it? I've wanted to do it too but I don't want to have to get the tires dismounted..

that aircraft grade remover stuff won't eat through tires, will it? I've wanted to do it too but I don't want to have to get the tires dismounted..

i don't think so, but i would mask them off any-way, because once you expose the rawe aluminum, then it has the chance to erode quickly.

point is, your gonna hafta put another layer of clearcoat on top of the polish in order to make it shine nicely.

also i think hi-polish 5-spokes would be VERY nice.