Dual exhaust

Psych0matt

Is it possible (without tons of custom work) to run true duals? since im going to redo my exhaust anyways, i thought if i could run two straight back, with a glasspack and some nice flowmasters or something...

also, how many people with verts have dual exhaust? I can't recall ever seeing another with it (in person at least)

Running true duals would require custom headers since you'd have to avoid the whole 2-1 collector where the headers connect and turn into the down tube, and as previously noted, there's not a whole lot of room under our hoods. Especially for us LQ1 owners. I think Aaron is one of the only ones on the board running custom headers on an LQ1 and even he retained the traditional setup. It would be neat to have and all, but there really isn't THAT much of a performance gain between having a car with headers and true dual exhaust and a car that just has headers and a well done fakie dual exhaust. In other words, if you do put true duals on your car the power increase your going to see probably won't be a result of the true dual setup but the headers.

My advice for a really nice exhuast setup:

1. Buy some new stock replacement headers and down tube, and then have them coated. They'll look cool, and you may even see a minor gain in performance.

2. Get a new high flow direct fit cat.

3. Get an exhuast shop to run some 2.5" stainless mandrel bent tubing for you. Equip the car with mufflers of your choice and preferably a resonator to stop the raspiness inherant in the 60 degree design.

Getting a custom exhuast isn't going to net you that much horsepower. I know most people on here seem to think that the exhuast is a huge restriction and there's big gains to be had, but I'd be surprised if you even saw a 2-3 gain at the wheels. If you think about it 3.1's came with both single and fakie dual exhuast from the factory. It may not be a huge differance, but there should be some differance in flow between the two systems yet both cars are rated at the same horse power. And 3.1's are the only example here, 3.8 S2 Regals don't make any less power than a Grand Prix GT despite the GP having a fake dual setup. Go figure. I guess my point is that if there were horsepower and fuel economy to be had by simply running 2.5" pipe instead of 2" or 2.25" then GM engineers probably would have done so.

Oh, and all 3.4 equipped convertibles had the dual exhuast setup. 3.1's with the sport package also go dual exhuast with the twin box type tips.