might be getting a "new" car

GPdriver1986

Next year i'm going to college and i'm gonna be driving everyday. I have had my GP for over a year now and I can say that its been a good car considering I bought it for cheap and all it needed was new brakes, brake lines (rubber), some body work, and a muffler (after winter). It has more than 110k miles on it. I really like driving it, but i hate the fact that I don't have power locks, windows, etc. And another thing is that my brake lines don't look too good (mechanic said that they are not bad but he advised me to have them changed), also I have rust on other things. I figure I can sell the car while it still looks good.Heres what I'm considering to purchase if i sell the car , remember i'm looking for a well maintained and a car that is decent on gas.

-Pontiac GP 1991-1996 (SE,GT, STE (maybe GTP) *drool*)

-Olds Cutlass Supreme 1994-1997 (sedan)

-Pontiac Grand Am 96-97 (GT)

-Chevy Cavalier 1991-1994 (Z24/RS)

-Cavalier 98-00 (Z24)

-Possibly a 94 Lumina

Thats basicly what I have narrowed down my choices which ever one of them I can find at a good price and nice appearance i'll buy it. I really want an STE though, they are so nice.

What do you guys think?

i reccomend the 94-96 B4U GP SE. The 3100's are troopers, and will stand up to many miles of abuse with relatively little maintenance. The only thing that you might want to keep in mind if you are driving every day is the price of gas. The fun level of driving will be decreased a bit if you buy a cavi., but it will save you loads on gas. Happy car hunting!

Oh yeah and I don't want a 3.4 only 2.4,3.1,3100, or 2.2 .

1991-1996 GTP

:think:

Since you know your car better than a strange one, you'd be best keeping it to use for college as far as reliablility and maintenance.

Why not convert it to an LE or whatever, like Digitaloutsider. :?:

Oh yeah and I don't want a 3.4 only 2.4,3.1,3100, or 2.2 .

1991-1996 GTP

:think:

Since you know your car better than a strange one, you'd be best keeping it to use for college as far as reliablility and maintenance.

Why not convert it to an LE or whatever, like Digitaloutsider. :?:

I'm converting it from an LE. :wink:

Also, if you don't want a 3.4, then cancel out all 91-96 GTP's, and most 91-93 STE's.

if its things like power locks and fun options your concerned about, why not add em to your car? you gan get an aftermarket power lock setup for around $30 at most and they work very well, or you could just go and pull all the wireing from a jukyard to get power windows and locks, have fun with it. i say if its good and relyable to you now, your best keeping what ya got rather then go dive into a new strange car.

I want to get rid of my car because it wasn't oil sprayed and it has some minor rust underneath. If I can get a car with no rust and a 3.1, then the only things i'll have to worry about is regular maintence, alternator, o-ring, and other things that are simpler to fix. Right now it looks like my car wasn't really well maintained, the fluids were changed, but things like oil undercoating was not done. I don't mind doing something like brakes on w-body again than paying for new brake lines (front to rear) on my Grand Prix.

You could always get undercoating (the drippy wet kind) done now. It would probably eat into your rust and it wouldn't look as bad. Do you have holes in your floor or anything?

You could always get undercoating (the drippy wet kind) done now. It would probably eat into your rust and it wouldn't look as bad. Do you have holes in your floor or anything?

The cars my parents own are undercoated by Ziebart. Seeing how there service went from good to shitty over the past 15 years dissuaded me from using it. I just get a spray can of undercoating from an auto parts store and do it myself. It's simple and one hell of a lot cheaper.

Definately get a GP or a cutty with the 3100. They're very easy to maintain. If you want low maintenance I would definately stay far away from and W that has a 3.4 in it.

no I don't have any holes in the car, oil undercoating only helps if theres is no rust from the start. I was looking at a 1996 GTP yesterday but it was too expensive 6000$

My honest opinion? A 1994 Cavalier Z24 with the 3.1L. Cavaliers get such good gas mileage compared to my Cutty, and they are relatively comfortable. Another good car is a Buick Century or Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with the 3.3L. My uncle has had his 91 Cutlass Ciera since it was new, and he's put on almost 350,000 miles on it before he hit a chuckhole and it ripped off the rear subframe. They are very good cars and require very little maintenance. The only problem with the Cavalier like I mentioned before is that they rust on the bottom, but usually only if they are 4 doors. That's just my ideas.

J-body 3.1 is a good choice. My friend recently got a 1993 Sunbird 3.1 (auto) and it pulls just as hard if not harder than my friend's 3100 Lumina. He got it for $150 and just had a few repairs.. hell of a deal!

no I don't have any holes in the car, oil undercoating only helps if theres is no rust from the start. I was looking at a 1996 GTP yesterday but it was too expensive 6000$

Again, the GTP WILL have the 3.4. If you don't want the LQ1, look at LE's and SE's only.

that GTP did have the 3.4 thats why i'm staying away from it, but I have looked on autotrader and i have seen a few GP STE's with the 3.1, if I was to get one of those id be all set but they are hard to find. I also like Grand Am Gt's with the 3100 not with the 2.4

'91-'96 GTP & '91-'94 Z34 *drool* :D

The LQ1 ain't the "college car", but it's damn nice. Go with a verison of the "3.1", pry the best low maintenance one of the bunch.

'91-'96 GTP & '91-'94 Z34 *drool* :D

The LQ1 ain't the "college car", but it's damn nice. Go with a verison of the "3.1", pry the best low maintenance one of the bunch.

exactly that's why you want a 3.1 or a newer 3100. Then trade up later!

i would go with a 3.1 or 3100. those are really reliable motors, and as long as you take care of them, it will last alot longer than most 3.4s. although, you might get lucky like Gus's GTP with a 200k+ 3.4