Hood Scoops - need advice

MommyTaz022200

I bought some scoops for my car. They are the stick on type, but I want to make them functional and for my project idea I need them to be open behind the grills.

I have been told if you open them up the wind will pull them right off the hood. But would that still happen if I used rivits to hold it down instead of the tape? I plan on using filler to give them the nice smooth look. They are made of flexable material, It looks to me like plastic, but I can't say for sure.

Yeah I'd use NOTHING BUT FIBERGLASS. Bondo can and probably would crack for that application. Rivot them down, fiberglass to make it look nice/add strength and you should be all good. Then repaint the hood.

if you don't use bondo to smooth on top of the fiberglass, it will look like shit, painted or not. unless maybe you used fiberglass jelly...that MIGHT sand smooth. but, i know it would be a lot harder to smooth than bondo

if you don't use bondo to smooth on top of the fiberglass, it will look like shit, painted or not. unless maybe you used fiberglass jelly...that MIGHT sand smooth. but, i know it would be a lot harder to smooth than bondo

It is, but you can use thin strand fiberglass. Just keep doing it over and over again until its perfect. It WILL take tons of work but bondo on a hood isn't the greatest idea, especially if it will flex from the pressure of the air scoops (otherwise I'd say go for it).

but only being used as a smoother on top of fiberglass would allow for minimal flex. that's the point of the fiberglass, to provide rigidity to the scoop.

waderacescoop.jpg

They are hard to see on here but there are racing accents on the tops of them. I'm not sure if I put fiberglass over them if it wil cover the accents or just make them thicker.

I have some Bondo-Glass. It's bondo mixed with Fiberglass. It's made for fixing metal or plastic. I bought it because it was recommended to me to use for filling the areas I will have from cutting the B4U trim for my car.

Is that alright to use on the scoop too, or should I get something else?

I was also wondering- to make the scoops work to the best they are able to, how can I tell at what point on the hood should the grill on the scoops be at?

I figured on painting the whole car, so painting the hood isn't any extra work. As of right now the only part of the body that isn't just white primer is the rear quarter panels. And they will be too, as soon as I get the front quarter panels and doors finished. (finished to me right now is really smooth primerwith att the rust removed and the dings filled in)

When you say that you want the scoops to be functional what exactly do you mean??? Are you looking for a RAM Air effect, or just a simple hood vent for engine bay cooling? Because your going to have a hell of a time fabing up a collector system to make those scoops useful for RAM Air. There's not exacly a ton of room under the hood for the extra piping required for such an application. That said the most effective way to use them as a RAM Air system is to place them as close to the leading edge of the hood as possible. Oncoming air tends to hit the front of the car and get diverted up and away from the hood so the closer to the front the better. The only other practical place would be to mount them backwards toward the rear of the hood, this would give you a cowl induction type effect seen on the Chevelle. This type of mounting takes advantage of the low pressure effect cause by the oncoming air moving up and away when it hits the front end of the car, the low pressure causes air to rush in and replace the partial vacuum in the immediate area at the base of the windshield.

Good luck with fabing something up. Your going to have one hell of a GP when you finish everything, and its only going to be made that much better since your not half assing anything (i.e. taping fake hood scoops on your hood like everyone else). Very cool. Best of luck with the project!!!

Ok, I'll tell you why they need to be functional and hopefully a billion people won't go rush out and copy it. If anyone reding this thinks it's going to make my car ricey OH WELL, it's my car.

I need the grill to be open because I am going to take the sockets for the license plate lights on my non-B4U bumper and stick then in the hood under the scoops. The I'm going to put the blue 6 LED bulbs I bought in the sockets. Then when they are with my neon's it will hopefully look like I have neons lighting up my engine. I don't want to actually put neons in the engine bay though, because there is not really enough room and the neons tend to get kind of hot. So hot neons and a hot engine sounds like a bad combo to me. For this to work I have to have the grills open. If they are open the air that gets in the scoops is going to need a way out cause I figure if it's trapped in just the scoops they will be ripped off the hood and my gas milage will suck to all hell.

I think it will look cool, but I also do like the idea of my engine getting a bit more air. Maybe it won't run quite as hot.

OMG I just realized it says I'm a Senior member now. For some reason that make me feel like I should be going to McDonalds for coffee instead of getting hood scoops to glow. :lol:

If I cover the inside of the scoops in Fiberglass instead of the outside of them would that give me the same result? If I do the inside I won't have to worry about it screwing up the racing design or about getting it nice and smooth to look good with paint. I'm not sure if your saying to put fiberglass on them to add thickness and weight or if there's some other reason.

if u want a fast car y would u buy a w-body anyways just stick them one and get it over with

I will gladly buy a new fast car, just waiting on you to send me the money I need so I can afford one. If your not paying then don't waste my time writting useless responses. Seems funny my car is so slow, but if w-bodies are so slow then why are you even a member here?

Maybe you use the bus anyway cause you don't have any car listed in your profile.

Oh, if we're going to start lines for the free cars, my line:

1986 Grand National with

+ Calloway built V8 350 Supercharged

+ Custom built cast Iron Hemi heads

+ Nitrous

+ 6 speed Tranny

----------------------------------- =

About $50,000 and plenty of speed to kick Webb's City bus's (or maybe he has a Geo Metro) A$$

I'm first in my line, but after I get the car I'll still want to know about my scoops.