Looking at a 93 (I Think) Regal GS

Ifixyawata

Ok, I'm new to W-bodies, and almost new to GM cars all around. I had a '90 Cavalier for a year or so, but didn't have to tear into it much. Anyway, for about the past five years or so I've had an unexplicable fascination and obsession with what I guess is the styling of the 88-95 Regal GS 2-doors. So, being that I'm looking for a second car, it should be no surprise that I stopped to look at a blue one (the color I wanted too) sitting down the road that appeared to say "$400 OBO". This really seemed too good to be true, and of course, after I looked at it about 2 or 3 times I realized he was asking $1400. After that I'd given up on it, because, to be honest I'm in the market for a sub-$1000 car.

Anyway, couple weeks have passed and now the car's down to $900 OBO, still. Tommrkorow after wo I'm gonna meet the guy and take a closer look at it and a test drive. The thing that scares me the most about this car is that it has 198k miles. But, reading reviews online (before I'd found this site) it seemed that these cars can go beyond the 200k mark, even.

So, is there anything in particular I should look for on this car? Areas prone to rusting out? (I did see some rust forming back above the rear bumper on the driver side quarter panel.) Is the car worth it with that many miles on it? I plan on offering less than 9, but how low should I go?

Good choice of a car. :)

The biggest thing I would be worried about is the Transmission. 3800's are know to last well over 200k.

As for rust, my Regal only has one small spot on the body.

I think it's a good deal at $900 as long as the rust isn't too bad.

I'm having a hell of a time figuring out what year this car is. I found this pic of one that's supposedly a '91 and this is exactly what the one I'm looking at looks like.

Regal2.JPG