Front Strut on a 91 Cutlass Supreme ???'s and a few more on

smittyy29

Hello im new to the site ive only post one Question so far.

I have bad front strutts on this 91 Cutlass Supreme. Im told by a guy that i can just take the cartridges out and replace them on each side in the front and that will solve my problem of my struts being bad. Is this true? I can buy the set of Cartridges for the fronts strutts for only $61.25 and not sure of the brand. The guy that can do it is only gonna charge me like 30 bucks and he has the $150.00 tool to do this. He said then all ill have to do is get a front end alignment. Would this take care of my bad front strutt problem??? P.S. Back Strutts were done 2 years ago.

A few more questions id like to ask:

1. This car sometimes when i goto start it i cant get it to turn over or make a noise, then sometimes i turn it over and it just clicks. This has started to happen more frequently about everywhere i drive it to. But once i keep trying to turn it over it will eventually start. It also seems like if i move the steering wheel around it will fire up. Is this the starter??? Ive ready somethings on here and i dont want to buy a new starter if that is not the problem. I do have a Alpine Car Alarm on this car. The battery is newer. Any help here would be great.

2. The Service Engine or Check Engine light is constantly on when the car is running it does not shut off at all. Was wondering what possibly could be causing this as the engine is running fine and there are no engine problems.

3. Another thing is this, when i leave the car sit all night and go out in the morning to start it, it starts rough just turns over and over almost like you got to pump the gas, what i do is just hold the gas pedal down and keep turning it over and it starts right up. It seems to only do this when its cold like after sitting all day or overnight. But after driving it around and doing things it does not do it. Could this be that the throttle body needs cleaned up? Any suggestions on would be greatly appreciated.

I just got this car and after fixing these things right here the car will be pretty much up to great running order.

The only other noticeable things that i need to do are.

Drivers Side CV Joint

Maybe more in front end having it checked to make sure

Lower Motor Mount is lose or bad (gonna replace it)

Drivers Side Door, Outside Door Handle is broke wont open car, where can i order a red one same color as my car at? If they sell them that way or is black the only option? Also someone attempted to break into this car they didnt suceed but when they tried they got the key lock part broke loose to where it just dangles there. And they used a screw driver and it messed up the door spot where the key lock sits some. im thinking once i get the door apart i can then pound that back and get the key lock to sit in there right or replace it.

I want to put the Y back on the Dual Exhaust and add flow master mufflers with chrome tips. The exhaust right now has been cut to were only one side is hooked up and the Y is gone. The cat is still good.

Rotate and Balance Tires

Im gettin the old factory stock air filter and box taken out on sunday and a custom made air filter put in for more air flow to help keep the motor cooler.

Then down the road i plan to add a chip and do interior work.

Shooting for next year to get a new paintjob and add a wing or something to the back and new tires and rims.

Im also looking for a place to order some parts, id like to change the shifter order some new trim and such to replace some of it id like to paint or order things already painted for trim. Im gonna add a few neons and a shifter. And then a system i only need two 12's and a amp the rest is there. I know this is alot but i make decent money so im willing to invest to have a sharp ride for the rest of summer and then the fall.

This car is in great shape excellent. That is the only things that i know that need done to it.

It had a new altenator already put in it.

The timing chain i have no clue when it might go. But the motor has only 95,200 miles on it and its a 1991.

A buddy of mine got back from Iraq this was his everyday driver when he left he come back bought a 2004 truck and let me a good friend get this car for only 700 bucks. I could easily fix a few things on this and turn around and get 2,000 maybe alittle more. Its very clean.

I will have pictures up soon. Have to get a Digital Camera

Please give me your knowledge

Im located in Ohio if anybody wants to meet up and share ideals.\

thanks

Smitty

Strut cartridge is easy to replace. Go to Autozone and rent their strut cartridge removal tool and they will return your money if you return their tool. $30 bucks charge for replacing the two strut cartridge would not be bad and you will learn from him and probably do it yourself next time. You don't have to do a front end alignment when you replace the strut cartridge because you are not removing anyting on the suspension and steering linkages.

With regards to problem starting the vehicle, I would check this:

Check to make sure the remote positive terminal nut is tightened good. It is located near the fuel pump relay/fuse and the remote positive terminal nut is covered with a red cap. Just follow the positive battery terminal cable from the battery and you'll find it. If that nut is somewhat loose, you'll have intermittent problem and more pronounced when starting since it draws too much power.

It could be your Fuel Pressure Regulator failing. The Fuel Pressure Regulator has a diaphragm inside and if that diaphragm ruptures, excess fuel is sucked into the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum hose and into the intake. Check the Fuel Pressure Regulator vacuum hose for any sign of fuel inside the vacuum hose (do it after running the engine for a while).

Failing CTS (Coolant Temperature Sensor). If the CTS fails, it will give out an incorrect reading to the computer. The computer controls how long to open and close the fuel injectors based on the information the CTS gives to the computer.

well went and got the two new cartridges today. having them and a new nice air breather system put on tommorow. that should help alot of the front end noise i hope.

will these cartridges fix the strutts in the front for sure???

when i went out to start the car this morning it turned right over but as usual was starting rough. then it like hit a dead spot or something and nothing then i turned it over and over and over and boom right up. im gonna start with what you said to do and see if that is the problem if not i guess ill replace the starter. that is something that they had done along time ago.

another thing is this i hear a cluncking noise in the car but its coming from the backend. i hear it real loud once i get going but once i put the brakes on boom it stops you cant hear it. what could this be that the brakes have something loose going on them? my exhaust is rigged and needs to be hung better hence while im gonna have the dual exhaust put back up. that vibrates and makes noise as well. i have no clue what that might be that clicking noise in the back.

i was told that the front has a bad cv joint but that clicking noise im hearing now is back related and not coming from the front. after the strutts are fixed i think ill know more on what could be making the noises.

i get the car checked out on tuesday to see what all is wrong front end wise and i guess ill have them check the back to. they will let me know if the cv joints are bad or anything in the front end.

as for the alignent hat is off now that is why i said then all ill need to do is get the alignement done and rotate and balance the tires. nothing major.

then i want to get the exhaust and brakes done up and windows tinted i think that is enough right now.

how hard is it to change a motor mount? when i accelerate and let off you can feel it move the motor i was told that is what is wrong so i want to definately get that fixed.

also what about door handles can i order them already paint my cars color?

thanks for all the help hope to get more help from people.

i know im asking alot of questions at once but im trying to pinpoint problems and get this car functinally tops then go ahead and do all the other bonus stuff such as windoew tinted neons and such.

thanks

smitty

oh one more thing how can i be sure this motor is a 3.4? im confused on this its a DOHC unit but im pretty sure its a 3.4 but not 100% positive any help there would be great

thanks

smitty

oh one more thing how can i be sure this motor is a 3.4? im confused on this its a DOHC unit but im pretty sure its a 3.4 but not 100% positive any help there would be great

thanks

smitty

3.4 is the only DOHC in any W. So it's a 3.4.

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/489000-489999/489673_20_full.jpg

http://memimage.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/489000-489999/489673_74_full.jpg