MIKELABZ

ok so i'm driving along and i notice a new light on the control panel... the security light... i dont think much of it... i open and close my door thinking it wasnt shut all the way...then i gte home and start painting the white bar that flows across the trunk... my mom has to leave so i have to move the car... the car starts up just fine and i move it so she can drive out of the garage.. now i finsih painting a get back in the car to move it again... and the darned thing wont start... the radio comes on and the dash lights up but theres not even the sound of the alternator...so i take the keys out try it again it fails... take the key out sit there for a second and try it agin and it starts... i turned it off and tried it agin a few moments later and it started right up...

the hell does the security light mean.. and the hell is wrong with my car starting up?

I would try the newer ones, sometimes the chips start to go bad and then they cause "issues".....report back on if the newer keys solve the problem...

Try different keys first for sure. If that doesn't work, check out the following post. I explained to another member how to override the system:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17432&highlight=vats

If it's a broken wire inside the column, then you're looking at either a big job ahead of you if you fix it yourself, or big bucks for a shop to fix it. My suggested "quick fix" will rule out whether the VATS module is bad or if your lock cylinder is bad. If it is the lock cylinder, you can leave the little "quick fix" in place if you don't mind having the security system disabled...