ATTN: 88-91 CUTLASS Owners with INTL Ground Effects...

gmrulz4u

This is REALLY starting to get on my nerves! I have an 89 Supreme International with the factory ground effects(White body, gray moldings).

For some reason, my drivers door molding likes to "catch" onto the front fenders body/metal as I open the door. The more I open the door to get in, the more it will start to pull away from the door itself! I have to either use my left foot to hold the molding at the upper-front tip as I am opening the door or bend down and hold it with my left hand as I open the door.

Because it's been doing this for some time now the paint is all starting to chip off both the fender and the upper-front tip of the ground effects/door molding itself.

Twice I brought it to my regular mechanic and he once used a crowbar with a towel to bend the front-drivers fender slightly outward so that the door molding wouldn't "catch" onto it...the last time he just used a jack thingy to raise the drivers door as it was opened...

So I don't know if the door itself is starting to "sag" or something? Or if the metal or door molding is expanding in the heat? Because this ONLY happens in the summer...and sometimes it won't even do it if it's not hot and sunny outside. I was thinking maybe the door moldings are made of some material that is effected by heat?

All I know is that I'm getting REALLY annoyed with it and can't really think of anything else to do? I mean I don't want to be bending the bodies metal etc...

Does this even ever happen to ANYone else but me??

THANKS!:)

This happened on the 88, but on the passenger side. Luckily it only happened once or twice and didn't hurt the paint. I used my bare hands and pulled the fender out a little (it looked a little pushed in) and it was fine after that.

Since it's your driver side, I'll bet your door hinges are worn. Grab the back of the door and see if you can lift it any at all. If you can, the hinges are worn. They are a royal PITA to change yourself. I did it, and it sucked even though I followed the TSB and changed them through the fender with the wheel off. Changing them is the easy part, aligning them is the hard part. A special door jack would have helped a lot. I know the driver side hinges are very worn on my 89, but awhile back my friend's brother (who works at a body shop) used a special tool to lift up the door. I think it bends the hinges to compensate for sag. It was a pretty ghetto way to fix it, and he nicked the paint in the door jamb with the tool (wasn't careful enough), so had I known he was gonna ghetto-fix it, I would have just told him not to worry about it. It's properly aligned now though, but I can lift up on the door still. Eventually I'll replace the hinges, and I'm betting that's probably what you need.

Yes deffinately the hinges.

I have a 93 Intl. My door moves about an 1/2 inch at the end. I dont have the rubbing problem but thatnks for the warning. I should get these replaced. They seem to be a headache to replace by yourself since the bolt holes on the hinge, door and A pillar allow for a great deal of movement for alignment.

I guess one way to align them is to replace them. Follow the above mention process through the wheel well but have the door closed and held in place with 2 cargo straps. Run the straps with both door windows down like you were strapping both doors to the roof but at the bottom of the door you are aligning, put a 1/4" shim to raise the door up (like your compensating for sag. With the cargo straps in place the door wont budge with the hinge bolts loosened.

Add or reduce shims if you need to repeat the process since it's doubtfull you can get the door first try and the 1/4" is not sufficient.

I have a 93 Intl. My door moves about an 1/2 inch at the end. I dont have the rubbing problem but thatnks for the warning. I should get these replaced. They seem to be a headache to replace by yourself since the bolt holes on the hinge, door and A pillar allow for a great deal of movement for alignment.

Oh yeah, they are a HUGE headache to align, even with a helper.

Replacing them is super easy with the method outlined in the TSB. You just remove the wheel and fender liner which is very easy. Then leave the door shut, and replace the hinges through the fender one at a time. Also very easy. I had hoped that they would be aligned upon replacement because the door was shut the whole time, but NOPE! When I opened the door and tried to shut it, it was off.

One of these might have been a huge help.

is the molding tight against the door's sheet metal?

Well, not so much anymore...because a few times it got "caught" on the fender and I didn't even notice it until it was REALLY starting to pull away from the door!! I almost thought I bent it once...

is the molding tight against the door's sheet metal?

Well, not so much anymore...because a few times it got "caught" on the fender and I didn't even notice it until it was REALLY starting to pull away from the door!! I almost thought I bent it once...

you definetly got to get it flush with the door again. Double sided tape, glue, etc on the inside of the end of the molding. Should work pretty well. Right before I junked my '90 I drilled a screw thru it and into the door :lol: