Cam sensors

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I called the mechanic today,

He said the cam sensor was shot which caused the problem

130 for the part

140 for labor

could be other problems but the computer says its just the cam sensor so far.

That sounds a bit steep on the labor, especially if this is for a 3.4, because the cam sensor is right on top of the valve cover. Even if its a 3.1 I can't imagine that it should ever take 2 or 3 (about $140 in labor???) hours to replace a cam sensor. You may want to check around, even the price of the part sounds a tad expensive. NAPA lists them as $40 for a 3.1 and $90 for the 3.4 DOHC.

Guest Anonymous

Its the 3.4, he said 2 hours of labor at $70/hr

Im having it done, the car cant drive anywhere and id have to wait even longer. I just have to tough it out

DO NOT HAVE IT DONE!!!. Open the hood. Right next to the oil filler cap on top of the front valve cover there will be a wiring harness. Remove the connector. Use a 10mm socket to remove the bracket holding the sensor, pop the old one out and pop the new one in. It may take you five minutes. If you really feel like paying you can give me the $140 and I'll do it for ya.

And I somehow doubt that its the cause of your problems. You can unplug the thing and your car will start a bit rough, but run well enough not to have an SES light go on.