Water Pump in a Cutlass

Speckkial

Has anyone ever had to replace their water pump? My car makes this sounds, like when you are accelerating, you can hear the engine picking up but when you come to a stop it sounds like it's dying. I took it to a mechanic a couple of weeks back and he told me that it was probably my water pump. Has anyone ever had this problem and was it costly?

It's not particularly costly nor difficult to replace.

I think all the 60-degree V6's use the same water pump, and I believe a Delco branded one cost me $16 from O'Reilly Auto Parts and maybe $4 for a tube of RTV silicone. They're pretty easy to replace. I don't have any idea how much it would cost to pay someone to replace it though.

Do you plan to pay someone or do you plan to do it yourself?

I know someone that can do it. I just didn't know how cheap the actual part is. But you had this problem yourself? Did your car make these sounds?

I'm not sure what the sound you describes really sounds like, but I've had a bad water pump make clunking sounds. The easiest way to tell is to remove the serpentine belt and spin the water pump. It should turn smoothly and quietly. If it makes clunking sounds and feels kind of loose, it's no good.

Usually a water pump on the go has a little drip before it ultimately fails.

They seem to be made to do this.

The free spinning test is a great idea though.

When you say it sounds like it's dying, can you feel it too? Is the car trembling? Is the tach jumping up and down? Maybe it's not related to an engine accessory at all but ignition related.