Confused ECM? NOPE.. I think it was the fuel pump :(

THe_DeTAiL3R

I don't know whether to put this in the racing section (didn't race anyone) or in the powertrain (not really a problem) just kinda odd.. anyways here it goes..

(converting KM/H to MPH best I can)

I was with my friend and we were on a LONG stretch of road.. so I wanted to attempt to get my powerhouse 2.8L GP up to top speed or a high speed. :lol:

Anyways so we started on that road and got to about 150km/h (90mph) and I didn't know what was up ahead (it getting dark out) so I slowed down to the speed limit of 80km/h. Kept driving on this long straight road and there was this hill (I thought great, I can gain speed going down it). So I turn around going 80km I stomp on it and get up to about around 145km/h (85mph) as I'm climbing up the hill, and it just stays at that speed. Go over the hill, level out and the tach is still at approx 4500RPM and the car would just not go any faster. Put it in OD but no difference. I kept my foot down for a little while longer but then stopped cause I don't want to kill my little engine or anything. Slowed down then cause I had enough for the day (bugs splattered all over the windshield, and driving at those speeds with crappy tires, frozen rear struts, crappy pulsating brakes, among other things is a bit on the nerves.. :lol: )

So anyways I've had my car up to almost 110mph before (at near 6000RPM) and its quite capable of getting to 90mph I just found it a bit odd that it wouldn't accelerate any more after going up the hill.

Did the ECM get confused when I was going up the hill? :confused:

yeah, the ecm was all like "dude, i can't go up that hill" and then it was like "wait, am I the ECM? hmmm' and after a little while longer it decided that in fact, it wasn't the ECM, it was a pizza and thats why you couldn't go any faster.

I think it has more to do with your car hitting the wall so to speak. I.E it takes x amount of horsepower for a car of y weight to travel up a hill of z degrees incline. Don't feel bad, my X's 2.2 Cavalier topped out at like 75 going up hill with more than one person in the car.

thats no fair my 3100 will barely get past 90mph, the fastest i had it was 100mph, and it wouldnt go any faster..most be the high mileage or my car is just shitty

I think it has more to do with your car hitting the wall so to speak. I.E it takes x amount of horsepower for a car of y weight to travel up a hill of z degrees incline. Don't feel bad, my X's 2.2 Cavalier topped out at like 75 going up hill with more than one person in the car.

Yeah, but once I got over the hill it just stayed at the same speed. Once I got over the hill it should have pulled faster than just 85. It just stayed at 4500rpm on level ground, with no wind.

Yeah, but once I got over the hill it just stayed at the same speed. Once I got over the hill it should have pulled faster than just 85. It just stayed at 4500rpm on level ground, with no wind.

In that case...I'd go with the pizza theory.

UPDATE:

My fuel pump is has been making a whining noise the last 2 days.. I think I killed it while trying to break my record high speed attempt.

More money to be spend on that stupid POS.

:cuss:

Fuel pumps aren't really that hard to replace. The hard part is siphoning the gas out of the tank if the tank's full. Have fun replacing that sucker, but most of all, have patience...

yeah, my buddy and i did a top speed check in his dynasty... or w/e they're called... it whined when we stoped and got a bite to eat ... never started after that ... ;-/ i guess it didn't like it ... as far as i'm concerned ... dodges are fucking pos if they're not taking cared of ... whereas a damn GM will take the beating until someone prides and joys it...

example is the car in my sig ... kid beat the shit out of it!!

i dunno what you did wrong but my car cuts 125 like butta. that and a FFP chip and redline at 6200 and tall tires......... the theoretical top speed is 137+