buffing new paint

dohc v6

2 months might be pushing it, I usually do it the next day, You wet sand with 1500 - 2000 grit until smooth, then buff. Dont sand thru the clear! After buffing use some paper towel and fine polishing compound

I thought orange peel happens because of a cheap paint job, and I think the only way to fix it is to get it redone.

Not necessarily. GM factory paintjobs are even rather orange-peely.

As long as the clearcoat is of sufficient thickness, you should be able to do what Jcrow says and it should come out looking great.

my paint job came out to about 4,000. i did not pay that the guy messed up so much he had to redo it but it is worth about 4,000. also he put 2 gallons of paint and clear on my car so there is plenty of paint. he said that all i need to do is the sides because of gravity pulling it down. the top hood and trunk dont need it because they are flat. this is my car

http://www.w-body.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=17786

then he applied to much paint if it did that. Ive never wet sanded, but it may be problems with the color layer, and not the clear. Usually you wetsand it after its painted, before the coat of clear.

jon

If its only the sides that need to be wet sanded and buffed it won't take much time at all. Usually its only the top half of the sides you need to worry about because you cant see the reflection of the lower half. If you are careful you can sand out dirt and runs

he wet sanded the car when he was painting it . the paint does not look like a ocean but it does have some ripples. so i want it o be smooth and clean.

Damn for $4000 you'd think he's wetsand and detail it after..

I'm kinda with godofthunder on this one.. sounds almost like he sprayed big heavy coats instead of several small coats. I've painted my car and got no sags only when I sprayed the sh*t out of it by accident but then I'd go back and fix it.

like i said there is not that much orange peel. i just want it to be smooth. they get 600 for scuffing and buffing. the guy has painted my car and fixed so many things on it i got my moneys worth. he said he would buff it but if not i have to. i have a question. can you compound and polish by hand because i dont have a electric wheel and when wetsanding when it says one way is that back and fourth or going one way liffting and going back that same way.

wetsanding go back and forth (just like you'd sand anything else). Keep a hose or something nearby to keep it wet, and feel the surface as you go along.. when it is smooth move to the next area.

Although you can use rubbing compound/polish by hand, you really are best to find a cheap orbital buffer, they really dont' cost much. I got my 10" at a yard sale for $5. Check out ebay or something. It works good for applying rubbing compound, polish, and wax. Saves time and a ton of work.

actually, even BMW and other manuf have orange peel. Prob even lamborguini if they use any metal. I think Bently is one of the only main manuf. that dont have it, since each one is hand painted.

jon

attention.... attention....no matter if you spent $4,000 ON YOUR PAINT JOB.....aftre the initial painting process is done..."THERE WIL BE ORANGE PEEL". :cry: ..dont worry its normal, :D ...what makes a $300 diollar paint job different from a $4000 paint job is the many many hours spent perfecting the paint. Ask any high grader body shop.....the only way to remove orange peekl (the ripply stuff) is to wet sand,.....wet sand..wet sand..and aftre u have wet sanded...wet sand it again.....starting from 1,000 grit wet sanding paper(rough)...working way up to 1500 grit and finishing with 2000.

Once u have only minute faint scratches which looks absolutely shiny to an un trained eye.....u brake out the orbital buffer. usung a 2 to 3 step process. first with the cloth..then foam pad..then sponge pad...after about 10-15 hours total prepping..u will find your self worth of BOYD CODDINGTON. :D

sincerely that guy that makes his car boom..boom

Q from ...Q'sCustoms

u actually start wet sanding before u paint..the final sanding proces requires that u wet sand..

its the only way to make sure u have an absolute smooth finish. remeber your paint job is as good as your body work...

if u have pits in your body work you will have pits in your paint.

also...aftre the car is painted and u beging color sanding it(wet sanding) there will be paint residue because you are actually smoothing out the paint in order to acheive perfection. So that why its good to drop atleast 3 coats...that way u no you will have a good deep shine.

i have seen as much as 5 coats of candy apple red..in order to achieve the deep full glossyness.

but...take your time..please do or you will be dishing out another 500 to 1500 dollars repainting. and which ever body shop u go to aske them to make you a half gallon of paint....this is for u hot import night fellas..when i had my ride done in a special ford red with tangerine pearl i had to make me an extra can ...just in case i cracked my bumper..i could go back and know that when they retouch my ride it will be the exact same color. ......always prepare for the mishaps of the daily commute.

also check out this link to truckin magazine..they have a full and very detailed article on the subject..http://www.customclassictrucks.com/howto/137_0403_paint/

just a lil more advice