Do you have a 3100 or a 3400???

jeremy

There was a post on 60v6 about that, but I think GM redid the intake gaskets to battle this problem, and I have never heard of this happening to nebody except on that website, I think its a a very isolated problem on the 3x engines.

There was a post on 60v6 about that, but I think GM redid the intake gaskets to battle this problem, and I have never heard of this happening to nebody except on that website, I think its a a very isolated problem on the 3x engines.

that is correct. Before I got the car mine were replaced due to some oil leakage from the plastic ones. They were replaced with I believe aluminum...don't quote me on the metal.

They redid the design of the lower intakes by adding 2 little metal bottons above and below the coolant passages on the heads. This was the weak point and the gaskets pretty much take care of the issue.

They redid the design of the lower intakes by adding 2 little metal bottons above and below the coolant passages on the heads. This was the weak point and the gaskets pretty much take care of the issue.

do you know when they started using the newer gaskets...

It's just some douchebag with a minivan that doesn't check his fluids or even open his hood (otherwise he would have caught the problem a LONG time before it got serious).

Go cry me a river........

It's just some douchebag with a minivan that doesn't check his fluids or even open his hood (otherwise he would have caught the problem a LONG time before it got serious).

Go cry me a river........

Bullshit. Our intake gasket in the Montana started going before the warranty ended. That's under 36,000 miles, and *I* do upkeep on my car. This is not a problem with vehicles that aren't kept up. I've seen even pristine 3400's have the problem. It's just like the transmission problem in these same vans. It happens.

Is it just the vans that are affected by this problem? Because to me it seems quite weird that the 3100/3400 are 60degree v6's which are just the same as the 3.1/2.8 these engines seem to not have any major problems with those gaskets, is it because of the extra power? But also if look at our w-bodies with the 3100 engine most of us do not have this problem.Well at least its not a crank or something else, every engine has its problems. What you guys think?

I've seen it in everything with the 3*00, cutlass's, grand ams, vans, it is a problem, but at least they finally have the fix for it. It doesn't improve my outlook on the 3*00's though. I do love when someone brings their GM into our dealer, I can hook them good and get it done quick.

The people who have posted on that site apparently have no inclination to find out what the problem is themselves and fix it. Since they now know what the problem is, and that is has a solution, why don't they take care of it and stop whining?

the average person isn't going to change their own gaskets :lol: the problem is that the shops and GM are uncooperative about their problem, but the bigger problem is the engine damage sustained from the gasket failure, and many of them are getting stuck with the bill. Never should a gasket fail like they are doing. Good gasket idea (thermogasket), bad design. At least they got it better with '03+ gaskets.

I have a very good friend who is a service manager at a Pennsylvania Chevrolet dealer and he told me that this problem is VERY chronic, and affects the 3.1, the 3.4, and the 3.8 litre V-6 engines produced from roughly 1995 until present day as well as the V-8 used in the Tahoe, trucks and Suburbans.

Whew, my engine is giving me trouble and I was worried it was that..