the grand prix is dead

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i wanted to cry today.

i just took the GP down the shore for the weekend. it ran fine. checked all the fluids and such before i came home, it ran great coming home and to my way to work. Well, i got out at 11pm and started to drive. i couldnt get the car over 30-ish and the check engine lite came on. Then the engine ceased and all the lights came on... i finally got it started again, it drove maybe 500 feet before the engine died again. From there, the engine strated but the car wouldnt drive. we evenetually got it to move (after i called my parents from a nearby payphone) and its at a gas station, dead.

what the fuck happened? the car was running fine and all the fluids were fine.

please help, my baby is dead!!!! :( :x

i wanted to cry today.

i just took the GP down the shore for the weekend. it ran fine. checked all the fluids and such before i came home, it ran great coming home and to my way to work. Well, i got out at 11pm and started to drive. i couldnt get the car over 30-ish and the check engine lite came on. Then the engine ceased and all the lights came on... i finally got it started again, it drove maybe 500 feet before the engine died again. From there, the engine strated but the car wouldnt drive. we evenetually got it to move (after i called my parents from a nearby payphone) and its at a gas station, dead.

what the **** happened? the car was running fine and all the fluids were fine.

please help, my baby is dead!!!! :( :x

Could the fuel pump be out in it? It sounds like the way that my Grand Prix was acting just before the fuel pump failed. I barely limped into a parking lot with my Pree doing the same thing. It finally quit in the lot from me restarting it over and over and then it was totally dead. I could tell that the pump was out, because of the lack of a whirring sound in the tank when I tried to restart it. I replaced mine and it has ran fine right up to the time a few days ago when it started bogging at any throttle speed past idle.

My "Check Wallet" light came on briefly also, possibly becuse the dying engine was making the ECM think a sensor was giving a bad reading.

If you have not already, turn the key and listen for the fuel pump actuation. I always start with fuel and fire and then go from there.

Guest Anonymous

Well I called the mechanic that I limped the car to last night, they are going to look at it and call me (they are pretty good) so I will let everyone know what they say and if I am getting ripped off. My friends 97 died, the fuel pump went and I think that ran close to 1000.

replacing a fuel pump will not cost you a thousand dollars. if they are charging 1,000 that's a bunch of bs. Can you provide any other info at all to help? Your description was sorta brief.

Guest TurboSedan
i couldnt get the car over 30-ish and the check engine lite came on.

doubtful a bad fuel pump would cause a check engine light. turn the key to 'on' and listen for the fuel pump. i'd also check the fuel pressure @ the fuel rail schrader valve, check for spark with a timing gun, and go from there. have you checked codes? good luck.

Guest Anonymous

The car sounded really bad when it was running. I didnt check codes or anything b/c

1. i dont have the equipment

2. it was dead in the middle of a highway interesction at midnight

but the mechanic was going to check the codes i beleive and call me about whats wrong, but they never did, so my car is m.i.a. I just dont know why this happened, it was running GREAT and i came out of work and it just died :? It kept going slower and it stalled and shut off, it did this twice before being completly dead, then we got it running again to go to the shop, but it sounded terrible driving and the exhaust smelt bad, no smoke however.

Guest Anonymous

Well there was no smoke or color to the exhaust. It just smelt odd like something was wrong, hard to say... The mechanic was under the hood today but he never called on whats wrong :? It must be still driving becuase i passed it several times (you can see the place from the highway but I coulnt stop) and it was in a different spot each time.

I will call in the morning and see whats wrong.

Probably using it for his personal runs. :wink:

I HAD a mechanic that seemed to rack up the miles any time I had my car in for repairs. Pissed me the hell off.

Guest Anonymous

Well if I had a car like mine at my disposal I would be using it too

hahaha

just hope its not going to cost a ton, im trying to save $$$ so I can fix up the petty real nice.

Well I called the mechanic that I limped the car to last night, they are going to look at it and call me (they are pretty good) so I will let everyone know what they say and if I am getting ripped off. My friends 97 died, the fuel pump went and I think that ran close to 1000.

Doesn't the 97 model have the trap door under the seat?? I am pretty sure that is what my haynes manual said because i was cussing the fact that I had to pull my tank on my 91 but the later models got an access door.