Free spinning AC pulley?

tgpguy21

Does anyone know if there is just a free spinning pulley for the AC motor on our cars? I took out my condenser and everything today because I saw that all of my AC lines were cut. so instead of buying all new lines I wanna see if I can pick up some horses by just getting rid of the AC motor. Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

If you look below your water pump you can see a threaded hole in the motor. That was for an idler pulley on w-bodies w/o A/C. Yes, they did make them. Advance Auto sells the idler pulley and you can get it from the dealer also. But you need to find the right size bolt.

Beretta's/Corsica's with a 2.8 or 3.1 also had this pulley on the non A/C ones.

Also, the 94+ cavaliers with the 2.2 have the same pulley on their tensioners. You should be able to find one of those in a j/y.

I saw a cavalier idler pulley on ebay not too long ago. Is there any power gain by using the idler over just not using the ac? I know the whole ac unit probably weighs a bit so that would help.

I would assume that getting this idler pully would free up some horse cause the belt doesnt have to turn that AC motor. (Correct me if im wrong) Now which bolt are you talking about? the one that connects the AC Motor? :think:

there shouldnt be hardly any power gain. Since the AC uses a clutch activate the compressor, its just an idler pulley if you dont have the AC on

Changing the AC pully wont really help much, if u can get a smaller free spinning pully you will rev a tad faster, but i seriously doubt any HP gains. and UD pully on the other hand will so a lot of help.

-Jeff

Guest Anonymous
I would assume that getting this idler pully would free up some horse cause the belt doesnt have to turn that AC motor. (Correct me if im wrong) Now which bolt are you talking about? the one that connects the AC Motor? :think:

It may free up 1 H.P. but it should rev a little quicker.

The bolt that holds the idler pulley on.

I'm not sure what it weighs on the W Bodies, but the Cavalier entire A/C system (including the 2.5 lbs of refrigerant) weighs in at like 26.5 lbs.

Can't we just change the belt to a smaller one or am I just talking out of my ass?

(Oops :oops: ) Smells like a good idea to me :lol: A little time measuring and might find one that will fit, just need to remember the belt adjustment spring thingy needs to be moved some to get a good measurement, so it will spring back and tighten the smaller belt too.

Jeff M

If you just replace the belt theres no way to get the water pump to turn the right way though is there? The water pump rotates counter clock wise and if you just got a smaller belt there would be no way to turn it.

Guest Anonymous
If you just replace the belt theres no way to get the water pump to turn the right way though is there? The water pump rotates counter clock wise and if you just got a smaller belt there would be no way to turn it.

You are correct. You need the idler pulley.