Wheel Finish Advice

CPSMonteZ34

I was going to clean up the original white 16" wheels from my '95 Monte Carlo to sell them. When I opened the storage door, I saw a spray-bottle of Easy-Off oven cleaner on the ground, spit open from the impact of the fall off the shelf above. Murphy's Law suggests the face of one of my wheels to be right beside where it landed, and now the wheel face that should be bright white, has it's clearcoat dulled in streaks and spots. The bright aluminum ring around the wheel edge now has a murky-white dullness as well.

I washed off everything I could to see the extent of the damage to the finish, and found that all the paint is still good, if not just very dull. It's a good thing I had them standing upright, all against each other side-wall to side-wall - only one was affected.

Should I polish the aluminum finish to get the shine back first, then just clearcoat the wheel again?

Well, at least I know what to use when I want to take grime off of bare metal parts. :roll: Sheesh. I wonder how many people think it should be used as a cleaner on painted surfaces when it clearly says on the bottle not to use on painted surfaces :?:

"Easy-Off" Heavy Duty Oven Cleaner

I'll type out, verbatim, what the directions say on the back. Upper-case letters are as indicated on the label, I'm not yelling on purpose...it's yelling at me.

Ideal for cleaning barbecue grills, NON-ALUMINUM and NON-CHROME pots, pans, skillets, fryers, drip pans, etc. Also cleans surfaces of porcelain enamel, stainless steel, undecorated ceramics, and concrete.

READ ENTIRE LABEL BEFORE USE. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES.

WARNING: MAY CAUSE SEVERE BURNS. AVOID CONTACT WITH SKIN AND EYES. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN.

Avoid inhaling mist. Do not spray on exterior oven surfaces, chrome, baked enamel, aluminum, coppertone, painted areas, linoleum or plastics. Avoid excessive use on glass. Keep spray off electrical connections, thermostat, light bulb and switches, heating elements, and pilot lights. In case of contact with clothes, paint, furniture or floor, dilute with water immediately.

Contains sodium hydroxide (blah blah blah, skin and eyes, flush immediately, call physician immediately...if you're stupid enough to swallow, don't induce vomiting...blah blah blah.

I don't think it would work too well as a paint stripper; however, it'll make one helluva clean surface to prep before painting. I don't think I would use it due to the residual effect it might have on the surface being cleaned. Even after use in an oven, it stinks for days. This one isn't for use in a self-cleaning oven either...it's the trigger spray.

One thing's for sure...it eats the shine of a clearcoat right off...damned shelf...oh well.