should I buy this??

black35intrigue

Hi, guys, I'm looking at possibly purchasing a 97 Pontiac GTP. This car has a little body damage, (it needs a rt. rear door and a rear fascia.) Also this car has a running problem. I'm not sure whether it's a head gasket or what yet until I can get it home and check it out, but it loses a cylinder under boost, with no boost it runs ok. It has around 100,000 miles on it. They only want $3,600 for it is this car worth it??

Thanks,

Matt

im not sure, if it just had the body damage, then yeah id go for it, but with a possible blown head gasket, or whatever problem its got, might be careful!

97 have some first productinon issues. You may want to look for a 98 with smiliar mileage and without any damage. Although 99+ had better throttle bodies.

97 have some first productinon issues. You may want to look for a 98 with smiliar mileage and without any damage. Although 99+ had better throttle bodies.

And with the 99s you can get them in two door models. Anything after, according to the dealers, are only four doors. :)

And with the 99s you can get them in two door models. Anything after, according to the dealers, are only four doors. :)

97-02 offered in either 2 or 4 door models. 03 = Sedans only.

Here's a site that shows some of the year-to-year changes. http://auto.consumerguide.com/auto/used/reviews/full/index.cfm/id/2315

I wouldn't buy it. I've read too much bad stuff about the 97s including bad electrical stuff. If its smacked up and not even running right I wouldn't touch it...

I agree to stay away from the '97 models, I'm looking at '99/'00 Gtp's which is in my price range. I only advantage of the '97s is the insurance isn't out of control.

97's aren't all that bad my friend bill has one aside of replaceing the ignition control module, and a few other things its been good so far, i'd ha ve to see the extent of the body damage to decide though

I wouldn't get a '97 for two reasons:

Electrical problems out the ass

Automatic Traction Control

Other than that, I have a friend wanting to sell me a PERFECT running one with mods for $3,000.. $3,500 for a gimp GP is a joke.

Way too much for that one. My sister in law bought a 97 gtp with hail damage for $3000. The only thing I dont like is the auto traction control. I got stuck in the snow in her car and couldn't get out because of that. With the shape that gtp is in offer them $1000-$1500 at the most.