just when all is going good... alternator death.

zachz34

:cry:

Your alternator dies.

Went to my car today. Started it... and the battery light was on. I was like... WTF. I turned off the car, popped the hood and tested teh battery. 12.56 volts. Ok.. cool. Started the car. Went back under the hood and tested the voltage at the battery with the car running... 12.4 volts. :(

Oh well... at least it happened now, and not when I got my license back. I just called my mechanic and he is ordering the alternator as I type this, but he's not sure if he will tackle actually putting it in or not. He said from what he remembers, you have to pull the engine to get to it . I"m almost positive that you can get to the alternator by means of the passenger side tirewell, but I guess I'll have to see.

And yet another blow to my wallet. :cry:

Has anybody done a write-up for alternator replacement on a Z34? If so... post a link. Pictures are good, as it looks like I MIGHT have to takle this one on my own. :(

Other than the alternator thing, the car ran great all day yesterday. Now that I think about it, there WAS funny whine sound coming from the area that the alternator resides. :( I guess I was just too happy to have my car back to even think about it. :cry:

Any help that can be provided would be MUCH appreciated.

I havent come across a car yet you have to pull the engine on to change an alternator, and any mechanic telling you othersie should be fired. It's been a while since I did one on a Z-34(over 4 years), but from what I remember, it only took about an hour to change.

Today driving on freeway i look at my speed/o and notice it is bouncing all over between 60 and 70 then i notice my batt light is on and im only getting about 11 volts. so i turned around and went back towards home and then when sitting at a stop light the batt light went off and volt gauge went bake to normal it was like that the rest of the way home but as soon as i pulled in to my driveway batt light came on and voltage droped hopfully there is just a lose or bad batt wire some ware and not the altonater

Well... My mechanic talked to my mom today, and he's going to call me tomorrow. He, for some reason, thinks that there might be a fuse somewhere or something that's blown. Fusible link he said maybe? I dont know. :(

I'm assuming the alt is shot until he proves me wrong :(

If you have to do the alternator, follow the 60degreev6 procedure thru the tire well. Pop off the axle and it's not bad at all. I just did the wife's 3.4 a couple of weeks ago that way.

Hopefully, it'll be something else though.

Happy 4th, the beer lamp is lit!!

Today driving on freeway i look at my speed/o and notice it is bouncing all over between 60 and 70 then i notice my batt light is on and im only getting about 11 volts. so i turned around and went back towards home and then when sitting at a stop light the batt light went off and volt gauge went bake to normal it was like that the rest of the way home but as soon as i pulled in to my driveway batt light came on and voltage droped hopfully there is just a lose or bad batt wire some ware and not the altonater

It is most likley a voltage regulator, but if I remember correctly those are internal on our alt's so you are SOL.

Well...

My mechanic is picking it up tomorrow morning at 8. Maybe if I cross my fingers really hard, it will be done by the time I get off work. :lol:

:(