Front shock cartridge replacement

axegrinder

Hi guys,

We recently installed some Gabriel from shock cartridges on our 97 supreme (i only read on this site after buying them about how crap they are, oh well).

The problem we're having is that there is a sound (like the cartridge is loose and shaking around inside the housing). We re-installed the cartridge several times, re-shimming between the shock/cartridge body and the special shock body nut, we check it by hand and the body is tight (no rattles or looseness when yanking on the rod that attaches to the car). also check with a mirror to make sure that the special shock body nut still has threads (so it has'nt bottomed out).

Is there something we're missing here or are these gabriel struts just like that.

Thanks,

Did you have the rears replaced too??

I know when I had mine done the shop installed the shock on the mount before installing in the car. After driving a bit the shock settled farther in the mount and was then loose, it sounded horrible.

I don't think the shocks should sound like that normally, I think the issue with Gabriel is they don't last long and aren't all the great to begin with.

Thanks for the reply, judging by the lack of replies i'm guessing no one else has had this problem.

To answer your question, the rear struts i had changed 2 years ago and they are fine (with the exception of a squeak i cant get rid of) they've been fine otherwise.

Anyhow, i'm so pissed with this front cartridge issue that i just went and ordered some new cartridges from GM, yeah, i know it's $$$$ but the way it is now its driving me nuts (literally), it's going to sound like 20 yo piece of crap if this carries on.

That squeak is the bushing at the top of the strut in the rear. Rubber wears out and it squeaks, nothing too major, just enough to piss you off.