sunroof install

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Has anyone ever had a sunroof put it? the 95 has one but the 92 doesnt, and i cant live without having one. What do they cost/is it worth it?

I'm sure it would cost a hell of a lot because they have to cut through your roof and install a bunch of shit.

I don't see it being worth it. Just put your windows down.

if you feel ambitous do it yourself. i know a guy who put in his own and it wasn't as bad as you'd think, but obviously it isn't an hour job either. the kits come with a template and everything

I put my sunroof in my cutlass. After doing it my self I would suggest paying someone to do it. I had to resupport my roof after I cut the hole in my top. It was a hole lot more time consuming then I though it would be. Just remember if you do it yourself to make sure your measurements are right because if the holes to big or off center you have a mess and theres no turning back at that point. :D

I have put a moonroof in. Its a time suck. let me tell you.

You need the following:

moonroof glass/motor/housing

roof liner

shade slider

rubber trim

switches to control it

the roof metal with a good 4" border around it. (the rolled edge is essential to getting a water tight seal. don't attempt to make your own, it won't happen.)

First drink enough to get the courage to do this. Its a hell of an undertaking.

Second, secure a clean, DRY garage with high ceilings to work in. Lift not needed, step ladder is.

As per the car:

One remove your existing head liner. Hold on to it, just in case things take a turn for the worse.

Second, install the moonroof roof liner. take a crayon and trace the inside of the opening.

Remove the roof liner, then draw a circle around that first marking that is about 2" larger than the glass surface, but about 2" smaller than the roof metal from the donor car.

Take a dremel and cut out the circle of metal (hint: drink a couple before doing this. courage is needed.)

Next, line up the metal from the donor car (without the glass or anything else) and tack it in place with a couple welds applied to either the roof side or under side. I'd go roof side (grind down the paint first), due to the fact that falling sparks could damage the interior. It doesn't matter because you're going to be painting either way.

Once it is tacked into place, finish tracing the opening with a good weld. grind that down smooth, and break out the bondo. don't just fill in the immediate area around the weld, it will leave a metal "moat". Fill it in all the way to the edge of where the glass will be, but make sure that the edge where the glass will sit remains clean. Try to keep this as clean and smooth as possible.

Put in the tracking for the glass. I recommend using a single bar of metal to ensure that the ends are the same distance apart.

Assemble everything to the finished point. Give it a trial run, make sure everything is gelling. Once it is, disassemble everything again and have the car painted.

I painted the car myself, using catalyzed enamel. 5 coats, a bit of wet sanding with 2500 grit, then 2000 grit, then 1500 grit, then rubbing compound, then polishing compund, then wax.

Reasssemble everything.

If the roof liner is a different color than the rest of the interior do this

heres what you do.

Keep the liner, but scrape off all of the foam and liner. then go to a walmart, or a fabric store, get a sheet of whatever color felt and some thin foam or insulation foam. Be sure to iron the felt perfectly flat, preferably on a large flat surface (kitchen table, floor, etc.) ((also, make sure the iron is on a cool setting, otherwise it will scorch or melt )) Then glue the foam and felt together using a spray adhesive. 3M makes great glues like this. Let that set up over night, and then spray the remaining liner and glue the foam/felt to it, trim to edges, and put back in place. If you're neat about it, it totally looks like a pro job.

Then reassemble everything. Bam, moonroof.

This isn't a super hard job. Patience and courage are a must.

You're looking at a couple days work. Remember, take your time. Make sure everything works. Otherwise you're ruining a perfectly non leaking roof. and that super blows.

Guest Anonymous

damn that is a lot of work.

I must commend you for doing it yourself though, it takes alot. I was having second guesses when I drilled for the spoiler. Thanks for the tips.

My wife & I had one installed in her '92 S-10 Blazer back in '96 after we bought it - It's a pop up 15" x 30", cost us $225 installed + tax for a total of $238.50 and it still works great and has never leaked or had any problems. We love it, gets used all the time and I think it was well worth the cost.

• 2 weeks later...

I took my Grand Prix to GM last week to have my factory installed sunroof looked at. It won't open, but I can hear the motor. GM said I needed new tracks, and it would be $800 after labor. Only $350 for the parts.