TGP engine swap

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 92 petty edition that will need a new engine. Would it be worthwhile to put a TGP engine in it, and how much harder of an install is it. Like what components would I need to make the turbo operate and all? Is the trubo part of the actual engine block or is it located elsewhere. Sry guys, but as you can tell i know nothing about the TGP engine. :oops:

Well, if you are talking about putting an actual TGP engine in it, good luck. They aren't very easy to find. Especially separate from the car. If you are just going to buy the parts and add it, then use the search function. Info's there.

Jay boy is right, a bit involved for this. I did a post that is close to the top regarding differences between the TGP and NA motors, check that out but there are other things in doing the work, best to find someone that has done it and there are some, but its asking a lot for someone to walk you through all that :oops: . I have seen your Petty version, sharp looking and nicely done special edition!! :D Good luck!

Jeff M

Guest Anonymous

thanks guys. I wanted to add a TGP engine and such to really make it unique. Maybe its biting off more than I can chew. an L67 could suffice. damn 3.4 timing belt causing such a mess.

Thanks for the comments on the petty edition. Man do i love that car, much nicer than my 95 GT. too bad it doesnt have the newer interior. Its mint minus the engine. factory hud and vfd dic. i'll stop ranting :x

Has anyone on here done the tgp engine swap? what would iit cost to get done?

I don't know where you are located but I have a complete tgp engine and tranny with wiring harness, computer and turbo and all the plumbing (MINUS CROSS OVER PIPE) that i am willing to sell let me know I have a complete parts car MINUS CROSS OVER PIPE AND ALL BRAKES

it'll cost u an arm anda leg if u ask me..cause i was thinkin about doin that to my z-26 beretta and it's way too high for me...guy told me something like 3,500 bucks but that might've been really high for that too

Guest TurboSedan

very doable for $1000 or less IMO. TGP parts really aren't that hard to find. you could just throw a bunch of TGP parts onto a NA 3.1 engine, i mean if you really wanted to spend as little as possible. keep in mind that it's more complicated than it sounds! if you want a complete engine you'll probably have to buy a complete car or find someone with a wrecked TGP that's parting it out....and even then you're probably not going to find one locally so you'll have to pay for expensive shipping.

i didn't have much trouble at all finding TGP engine parts on the forum, and then after i bought all of the pieces seperately i found a complete TGP engine in the local salvage yard for $350 (needs rebuild).

I *might* have an engine and tranny for sale soon.

No he won't. Unless it's an extra. In which case fine. But damnit turby, you're getting a 5 speed chip, and you're gonna use it. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

No he won't. Unless it's an extra. In which case fine. But damnit turby, you're getting a 5 speed chip, and you're gonna use it. :wink:

I've all but given up on it. Everytime I turn around I'm sinking money into stupid shit, trying to catch up on things, etc. I want to do it but funds are severely limited right now.

Trust me, I know how it is. But they are soooo much fun. You need to have a meet at your house, and call it a "mod day" The mod will be swapping a 5 speed/LG5 into turby's car. Fun times. :lol:

Guest Anonymous
Trust me, I know how it is. But they are soooo much fun. You need to have a meet at your house, and call it a "mod day" The mod will be swapping a 5 speed/LG5 into turby's car. Fun times. :lol:

That would be great except the motor needs the bottom end rebuilt, the x-over needs fixed and the turbo could use a rebuild.

Guest TurboSedan

I've all but given up on it. Everytime I turn around I'm sinking money into stupid shit, trying to catch up on things, etc. I want to do it but funds are severely limited right now.

believe me i know EXACTLY how you feel!! i'm pretty much in the same boat. i bought my complete TGP motor just over a year ago, and then i find out later it's got a melted piston. on top of that my other car is taking up all of my extra funds, along with bills and other shit and here i am trying to go back to school this fall. sometimes i'm absolutely convinced i should sell all of my TGP parts...and just ditch the project because it seems so impractical. but i'm sooo close to actually starting the project...man i cannot wait. all i want to do is blow up the NA 3.1 with 7 psi :D like i said, i can't wait....it's going to be fun!

progress will definately keep you motivated, even a little bit. try to do whatever you can that doesn't cost anything, like pull the engine or clean parts etc. maybe just phantasize about hitting 10lbs in 2nd gear and losing traction once in awhile...that's about all i can say, but i hope you don't sell then engine :gone2far:

blowing the n/a engine at 7 psi lol..........it holds to 9 psi on the small t25 turbo and also holds up to 8 psi on a big t04e turbo!!!!......... :lol:

Lets just say it gets a little out of control at 8 psi!! :wink:

And jay the 5 speed chip is working good so far.......good job. Should of had you delete the abs light tho

• 5 weeks later...