VFD DIC

Guest Anonymous

I am going to attempt to install the FULL WORKING VFD DIC out of an STE GP. That includes wiring up the interface and lamp modules. I do not think anyone has successfully done this yet. (in a 2 door GP). This feat is going to be done while trying to maintain the correct operation of the door ajar icons . (Disabling the rear doors) As well as enabling the other extra icons to work correctly.

The regular 2 door DIC has been done countless of times. It does involve alot of wiring for the 88-93 GP's because GM almost NEVER used the harness with the DIC pigtails.. And I think I found out WHY. I'll explain:

The DIC wiring for both the LCD & the VFD DIC was run on a deadicated harness from the C200 firewall connector... I have also found out that ANYONE can install that harness to hook up a DIC in a non-DIC equipped 88-93 GP WITHOUT MAKING a SINGLE wire cut or splice.

The 4 door STE VFD DIC is a totally different ballgame guys. It has 3 harness' that run all over the car!!! To both sides of the Firewall connectors AND not just the C200...I took me more than 5 hours to remove the entire dash out of the junkcar to trace as much wiring as possible. And cut ONLY the wires that were spilced into the main harness. All other wires were followed until I reached their termination points and unhooked from there. That way all I will need to do is reinsert the connectors upon determining it's location. And only a few wires will actually need to be spilced in.

I am doing a how-to install on the 2 door DIC wiring harness that will make adding a DIC to a 88-93 GP a plug and play mod. It's not hard at all once you know where the main connector plugs into the back of the C200. All the wires are contained in it. And it also has the new cigarette lighter harness included . (Plugs into the DIC harness). This information will be available shortly on my 88-93 GP website.

Guest Anonymous

This sounds like alot. The Petty Edition came with the VFD DIC from the factory, so since its already in, what would be involved? I assume alot. Are there sensors already in the car or do i need to add all that jizz?

I would guess that if the PE has the same DIC as the STE that all that stuff should be hooked up already. If it doesn't have that stuff already there than it's probably not the same DIC.

If not than yes it's going to be a ton of work to add it in. The lamp module (which all that stuff runs through) has like 40 some wires going to it.

Than you need to add door pins for all doors, trunk and hood plus the float assy. for the washer fluid res.

The factory door pins would be a lot of work to add as they are installed on the door latches. The trunk and hood pins should be easy if you can find them, as well the float for the washer res. should be easy to add.

I think the hardest part for me is going to be figuring out what wires off the lamp module need to be used.

I'm definately going to need Gearhead43' help on this part.

The STE dic had a total of 3 harnesses running to it. The base DIC harness (to the C200) and an additional two for lamp and door monitors, respectively. A non-STE will NOT have the lamp/light monitor and the DIC will not display the information (instead will show service reminders).

As far as the Petty edition goes, NO it does not have the Lamp/Door monitor. It was an STE SPECIFIC item.

why would a Petty GP have a 4dr DIC?

I never said it did and I was kind of assuming that he was talking about a 4-dr cause why would you put a 4-dr DIC in a two door?

It's NOT an STE DIC in the Petty edition. It's simply the upgraded VFD display. They ditched the old LCD, and you just have the newer one.

....ahhhhh, it is nice to have clarity.....

Guest Anonymous

i liked the LCD one better.

Does anyone know what the bulb interface looks like? when i got my dic the guy sent me this other thing that he said might help in hooking up the DIC. I may have explained it before, its got a shitload of wires going into it and is a gray-ish metal box about 6 inches square and maybe 1 or 2 inches tall with a motherboard inside.

i liked the LCD one better.

Does anyone know what the bulb interface looks like? when i got my dic the guy sent me this other thing that he said might help in hooking up the DIC. I may have explained it before, its got a shitload of wires going into it and is a gray-ish metal box about 6 inches square and maybe 1 or 2 inches tall with a motherboard inside.

That is possibly the STE's light/door monitor. I wouldn't know. Ask Gearhead43, since I've never seen one.

Does it have like 40 wires coming out of three connectors, 2 on one side 1 on the other, also big heatsink on the one side?

If so it's the STE lamp monitor.

I made a HUGE boo-boo. The VFD DIC's did not change when they moved from the STE's. It's the exact same DIC unit. The STE's simply send light and door monitor information over a serial data connection on the STE harness. Sorry for not fully understanding myself.