a/c compressor

Dannymik

My a/c compressor has been done for 2-3 yrs now. It tends to make that annoying noise once in awhile which made me open my eyes on all the cars that suffer the same problem. I would have to say that the 3.1, 3100, and maybe the 2.8's all have terrible compressors. Was there a recall on these or is just another shit part that GM made? Replacing these aren't that cheap either :roll: .

Mine has been dead for a very long time. I'd like to remove as much of the A/C as I can some day. Need to get a new serpentine belt though, which cost money. :?

My boyfriend's A/C Compressor works as far as making the air cold, but the pully drags at time, so it will squeel. His is on a 97 3800 series II (L36). Is there a way to fix it instead of buying a new one, or are they interchangable with any other years/engine size? For a new one it's like $300 just for the part, but if the pully makes the belt drag over it it will chew the belt up fast.

My boyfriend's A/C Compressor works as far as making the air cold, but the pully drags at time, so it will squeel. His is on a 97 3800 series II (L36). Is there a way to fix it instead of buying a new one, or are they interchangable with any other years/engine size? For a new one it's like $300 just for the part, but if the pully makes the belt drag over it it will chew the belt up fast.

I know that you can replace the clutch, but I have never done one. Now the $300 for the GM part is a joke...a fucking joke :evil:

I just replaced my a/c compressor on my cutlass and I was supprised to find out that the Internationals compressor has a bigger pully then a regular cutlass does. As far as changing out clutches its easier just to replace the whole compressor with one out of a junkyard. :D

I didnt have to replace the accumulator. I did have to use the Internationals serpintine belt because its about a inch longer then the regular cutlass belt. Also I had to change the electrical plug on my wiring harness that plugs into the compressor. I have noticed aloy less dragg on the engine using the internationals a/c pump versus my stock one that came on the car. The bigger pully makes a big difference. :D

thanks for the reply....so what year is your Cutlass? Would the international a/c compressor work on a '95? Wouldn't a bigger pulley equal less horse power....ffp sells the smaller ones.

I dont know whether it would work on your car or not they both mount in the same place. The pully I was talking about is the one on the compressor itsself and in this case a bigger pully results in less hp loss when the a/c is on. You would have to change the A/C plug in on your wiring harness. My cars a 89. :D

well maybe I will have to experiment a little sometime. I do know the diferences between the two pulleys, but just wanted to know if it would weaken the "MASSIVE" 3100 i have in her :shock: .