Spray paint guns?

THe_DeTAiL3R

I want to get a paint gun so I can paint my car the right way (no more spray cans).

I don't know jack about spray guns.

I don't have much money so what should I look for that is cheap but still work good?

I seen this on ebay.. is it good? If not what should I look for?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=22779&item=4310688151

I'm no painter by any means, but I do know the following. You'll want a compressor with the biggest tank (at least 40-50 gal.) you can get and at least a 5hp motor, and you'll need a gun thats rated at HPLV (High Pressure Low Volume). Other than that I don't know jack. Just remember, you can always sand away your mistakes.

That one sounds like its just for use with water based paints, you'll want to check what type of solvent your pain manufacturer recomends. Don't quote me on it, but automotive paints are almost never water based. So make sure whatever gun you get is capable of spraying your paint mixture.

See if you can find the one from CH (Campbell Hausfield) if not, then that first one is pretty good. You have a paint supplier near you?

I'll check around and see if I can find one of those.

No I don't have a paint supplier.. yet anyways. I'll ask around, and my friends dad is a manager at a tire shop in town and knows lots of people.

Whenever you're about to buy supplies, ask for prices of PPG Omni paint- they can be had in single stage (no clear needed) or BC/CC : the prices are very competitive for urethane paint. If I paint the '89 I will buy that again (bought white single stage for the old '90- perfect color match and perfect luster)

I think I'd want to do base/clear.. unless the single stage is much cheaper to do. If I were to do black I'd definitately want clearcoat to protect it from fading. However, I'm thinking red might be fun to do.

As far as a compressor I'm sure the Rent-all place probably has some. (If not I'll convince my dad to buy one.. he loves tools :lol: )

Single stage black, white, red, etc basically non-metallics are very good. It may fade in like 8 years, but then again the clearcoat can peel or chalk in 8 years too. Clearcoat is a real pain in the butt, especially if you're not in a dust-proof sealed location.

I've been doing a bit of reading and I think it would be easier to use a single stage paint, cause I wouldn't have to worry about different sized tips or a second gun..

Been reading stuff on this forum:

http://hotrodders.com/t807-15-2.html

They were saying this gun is cheap and good..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46719

I've been doing a bit of reading and I think it would be easier to use a single stage paint, cause I wouldn't have to worry about different sized tips or a second gun..

Been reading stuff on this forum:

http://hotrodders.com/t807-15-2.html

They were saying this gun is cheap and good..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=46719

That gun is small, it'll kill you and you won't really get a glossy topcoat in big areas (just like with spray cans) you need something capable of doing a full job.

Single stage is VERY easy. Even if you screw it up royally (runs, dust), just wetsand and buff back to a gloss. This is with urethane paint of course.

That gun is small, it'll kill you and you won't really get a glossy topcoat in big areas (just like with spray cans) you need something capable of doing a full job.

Single stage is VERY easy. Even if you screw it up royally (runs, dust), just wetsand and buff back to a gloss. This is with urethane paint of course.

A agree that job is too small. I think people just bought it for doing small jobs. I did however come across THIS gun, read more about it on the net and it doesn't look bad..

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=43430

I think Macco does a single stage (with their cheaper paint jobs anyways) and they showed me a car they did and it looked really good. I want to be able to wetsand the finished job and have a nice smooth finish. I think a good cheaper (~$50) gun with a 1.4mm tip or whatever and singlecoat would be the best way to go.

I'll need to some more research before buying a gun and what paint I'll use.. I might get started on the bodywork and just buy primer in cans for now..

That gun is decent I'd say. As for maaco, if they use urethane at all, it's the cheap stuff that lays like oatmeal if you're not careful. Otherwise they might use acrylic enamel which is total garbage (The paint that if you scratch it- the paint can't be compounded or buffed- it turns into a cloud. I'm pretty sure they don't spray that anymore).

With the primer- really don't get the spraypaint. It will become the "weakest link" and the topcoat may not adhere to it, or the primer may not adhere to the metal and then pieces flake off at any edges/ pressure points/bending areas. Primer from a supply store is usually $20-30 total for a quart of high end primer and a pint of hardener, which ends up being cheaper in the long run, and laying on primer that's compatible specifically with your planned topcoat- it will be tough as nails, especially if you splurge for epoxy primer you'll never see your metal again :lol:

Well I believe you about the primer..

I was using a green permanent marker while doing body work, just mark out areas I needed to work on. After I did about 2 coats with cheap spray-can primer, several coats of paint and then clearcoat.. YELLOW showed up through the paint! I redid it anyways but that kinda pissed me off. I want to do things right this time with my car so that it doesn't rust in a year and turn dull.

I read lots of good things about that cheap gun-I emailed the company to see about shipping prices to Canada. Hopefully I'll get some work soon so I can buy this stuff, otherwise I might have a gun sitting around collecting dust :lol: