p/s pump bleeding

dohc v6

can some one tell me how to do it the best way. i put the new pump in and turned the wheeld side to side and it is still full of air. now when i turn it makes a horriable sound and a ticking sound

can some one tell me how to do it the best way. i put the new pump in and turned the wheeld side to side and it is still full of air. now when i turn it makes a horriable sound and a ticking sound

Fill/Bleed Procedure:

1. Lift front end (wheels off ground).

Engine OFF:

2. Turn steering wheel full left.

3. Fill PS pump reservoir to full.

4. Turn steering wheel several times, right/left full travel.

5. Check/fill reservoir.

6. Start engine.

Engine running:

7. Turn steering wheel secveral times, right/left full travel, do not hold wheel at stops.

8. Check/fill reservoir.

9. Repeat 7 and 8 until there is no PS system noise.

10. Turn off engine and lower car.

I TURNED THE ENGINE ON AND OFF ANF TURNED THE STEERING WHEEL AND I GOT LIKE FOAM IN THE PUMP. IT SAYS IN THE BOOK THAT PS FLUID LIGHT TAN WITH SMALL BUBBLES IN IT HAS TO GET OUT OF THE SYSTEM. I SAW THE BUBLES BUT DID NOT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE GETTING OUT. I WAS OUT SIDE FOR A HOUR TURNING THE WHEEL BACK AND FOURTH. WHEN I START THE CAR I HEAR A TICK BUT IT GOES AWAY AFTER AWHILE OR WHEN YOU GIVE THE CAR GAS.

I TURNED THE ENGINE ON AND OFF ANF TURNED THE STEERING WHEEL AND I GOT LIKE FOAM IN THE PUMP. IT SAYS IN THE BOOK THAT PS FLUID LIGHT TAN WITH SMALL BUBBLES IN IT HAS TO GET OUT OF THE SYSTEM. I SAW THE BUBLES BUT DID NOT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE GETTING OUT. I WAS OUT SIDE FOR A HOUR TURNING THE WHEEL BACK AND FOURTH. WHEN I START THE CAR I HEAR A TICK BUT IT GOES AWAY AFTER AWHILE OR WHEN YOU GIVE THE CAR GAS.

YOU'LL SEE FOAM IN THE PUMP RESERVOIR AFTER INSTALLING A NEW PUMP. IT SHOULD GO AWAY AS THE SYSTEM OPERATES. AS LONG AS THE FOAM IS FLOATING ON TOP OF THE FLUID IN THE RESERVOIR.

NOW, IF THE FLUID HAS FINE BUBBLES THROUGHOUT, YOU'RE PROBABLY SUCKING IN AIR SOMEPLACE. IT SHOULDN'T TAKE AN HOUR TO BLEED THE AIR OUT.

THE TICKING YOU HEAR ISN'T USUALLY RELATED TO A P/S SYSTEM THAT NEEDS TO BE BLED.

i read in the facory manual that the air is not out it can cavation noise in the pump. i dont think that i have a leak in the lines it worked fine before i had taken it off to do my timing belt. the only thing that was different was the turning.before i did any thing when ever i turned the wheel back and fourth it would make a small clunk noise. it was not really that big of a problem. it sounded like ball joints or something

i got the ticking sound pretty much away but now i have a whine sound when ever i turn with the car slowly moving. do i have to just keep bleeding it or what.

As long as there isn't enough air to starve the system of fluid and cause damage, the air should work itself out without any problems. Most times it does, IMO.