wet sanding

GPdriver1986

I have alot of stains and weird marks on my paint around the front end of my car, I tried washing it off and I tried to use a clay, none of it worked. So I took some 1000 grit sandpaper and I started wet sanding a little bit just to see if it works, it did but it left some small scratches and the color is different ( hardly visible), anything I can do now to get rid of the scratches and whats the proper way to do wet sanding?

Go to Canadian Tire

Get some 1500 grit paper

Turtlewax rubbing compound (in a red container)

Polish and a wax, or just buy that NuFinish stuff, I find it works pretty good (for the price anyways).

When you are wetsanding make sure you keep it wet. I like to soak the paper a little bit before hand to make sure its wet. Use your hand while you do it so you FEEL when its smooth..

You should have a dull, scratched up look, so its time for rubbing compound. I like to use a buffer, but whatever. Buff it into a haze, and remove it (directions on the container). It will now have a DULL look to it still, but scratches gone. Then apply polish. Then the wax just apply it and remove it (doesn't require as much elbow grease as polishing). Then your paint should be shiney and feel really smooth.

The front end of your car is a bad area, cause thats where the most stone chips, bugs and road grime get on the car. Your clearcoat might not be perfect anymore...

The paint looks like new, its just that there are weird stains, it looks like the previous owner had the car repainted because of the GM flaking problem.

Might be stained/weathered clearcoat. Or if is was repainted the bodywork/primer/whatever is showing through the paint- it would have been like that since you got it if it were the case I would think. I know cause when I did bodywork on my sisters (white) car I used a green permanent marker, and the primer didn't seal it up so it went though the paint and there was a bunch of yellow marks in the paint.