crappy aluminum

pbj59

My Daughters boyfriend broke a thermostat bolt off in aluminum intake, then drilled a hole in the broken bolt and used an ezout, broke it off. Then called me. We managed to drill a hole for rethreading, then next day he called and said he broke off tap inside hole. It wont budge and tried needlenose pliers slid in the grooves to try to turn - no luck, broke 1 pair and bent another. None of them are stiff enough and they flex sideways. Any suggestions?

RW

My Daughters boyfriend broke a thermostat bolt off in aluminum intake, then drilled a hole in the broken bolt and used an ezout, broke it off. Then called me. We managed to drill a hole for rethreading, then next day he called and said he broke off tap inside hole. It wont budge and tried needlenose pliers slid in the grooves to try to turn - no luck, broke 1 pair and bent another. None of them are stiff enough and they flex sideways. Any suggestions?

RW

Removing broken taps is difficult at best, especially when it breaks cutting new threads. Part of the problem now is that there's very little room to work with. You might try a broken tap remover (available at industrial supply houses) if the area isn't too buggered up already.

If it were me, I'd remove the manifold from the engine and bring it to a machine shop to see if they can get the broken tap out.

Oh I "concur" (word of the day calender) after going through all that shit I would just be looking for a replacement intake. I don't even think you'll be able to helicoil it if you get the tap out. That has to be the worst run of luck I have ever heard!

yea i concur get a new one from the JY near you. If you don't have one near you a lot of the guys on here go often and maybe they can get one for you.