Monoleaf Removal

scorpion_x9

Can you jack up the rear end and just unbolt the monoleaf with all the weight off the tires, or is the monoleaf curved enough that you need to have a special tool anyway to compress/decompress the spring?

I've decided I should drop my gas tank and replace the fuel pump...

I got under the car and looked to see where everything was that I need to disconnect and unblot. It looks like two of the tank strap bolts are hidden behind the monoleaf. I see a gap where I could probably put and extention through but I'm not positive one will fit. I figure it might make thing a little easier.

Guest TurboSedan

you do not need to remove the monoleaf. like Dave said just use a 15mm wrench, or better yet a 15mm stubby wrench. my car does not have a monoleaf, and while it did make things a little easier because i could actually see the bolts, it didn't help me actually reach the bolts or give any better access. there was no way i could fit a u-joint in there; i tried.

i think gpse removed his tank without even removing the rear tank strap bolts, just the front two. i'd try that first.

Hello,

I dropped the tank of my 93 GP without undoing these bolts. Not as much as I didn't want to as much as I couldn't. They were so tight and rusted, I would have done more damage ripping them out then leaving them.

I did a write up on my tank/fuel pump removal, little story with some pictures with descriptions...it's here:

http://members.aol.com/regal231/fuel.htm

Good Luck.

Dang! I got my first move! :)

I'm in the process of removing my tank tight now. Unfortunately, it looks like GM did a good job of syphon-proofing my gas tank. I can't get a syphon tube in that bastardly thing. I disconnected the filler and vent tubes hoping that would help (i need them off anyways), but I was stopped again... I think I got about 5-6 gallons in the tank, I hope my jack lends a good helping hand... So far I have one bolt (the easiest one) off and the tubing disconnected. :lol: I just have to get at the one above the exhaust pipe and hopefully I can drop it out. Hmm... I never thought about the pulsator, I guess I'm getting that too, I don't want to have to drop the tank again...

Thanks for all the help guys! :)

Guest TurboSedan

I did a write up on my tank/fuel pump removal, little story with some pictures with descriptions...it's here:

http://members.aol.com/regal231/fuel.htm

Good Luck.

nice writeup & pics :)

for some reason all of my fuel lines are flare fitting. most of the cars i see in the junkyard have quick disconnect like you have. to get the strap bolt above the exhaust pipe just remove the heat shield. you might have to pull the rubber exhaust hangers off so the pipe will move out of the way enough. i used a u-joint on that bolt and it made it easier.

my TGP fuel pump did not want to fit securely in the hanger with the pulsator, so i bypassed it with a short section of new fuel hose and 2 new clamps. good luck

Turbo231 - wow nice WH1 :)

• 9 years later...

oh oh...directly in line with the fuel pump?

Any way to modify the floater to make it read ACTUAL fuel level, not stay at F for 100 miles. that bullcrap drives me crazy.

hammer something together out of wood to fasten on your jack and make it look more like a transmission jack. Also if you get the rubber hoses off you can stick a hunk of tubing in there and siphon. In the past I've stuck a couple nails into the plug for the pump and hooked my battery charger up to them and disconnected the quick connect line and stuck it in a gas can (not in that order).