Relocated Coil Packs *Updated with picture*

slick

After about 6-7 hours of total time, I did it. Sorry, no pics as of yet, and i know im gonna get hammered about this too. I have them located directly in front of the engine, on top of the fan shroud. I got the set off of ebay and it came with a mount. We flipped the mount, re-drilled and tapped the holes, put just a slight more of a bend into it, and it fit perfectly. We removed the fans and the upper radiator shroud thing. We only had to splice 2 or 3 wires, i forget, but we completely undid the wire harnesses in the front of the engine bay. They were a complete mess. Electrical tape was all over the damn place. Someone did a crappy job doing the wiring. I did find the problem for my AC not working too: A wire was cut. So, now my AC works great too. We did recover all the wires and wire tied them up, instead of using electrical tape. The wiring in the front of my car is soo much nicer looking now, and everything is tucked up nicely(except for the wires for the Coil Packs). As for the wires for the coil packs, well, we completely pulled them from the harness so we had plenty of wire to work with. Well, that left us a little too much, so theres a few bundles of wire in the front of my engine bay right now, just sitting there. It will be cleaned up when i have more time, but i mainly wanted to focus on getting them relocated and done. The spark plug wires need shortened, drastically. There wayyyy too long now, so any tips on that will be taken.

The car is still acting up though, so tomorrow im gonna call a repair shop that deals with cars with good mods/ engine swaps, etc.... Hopefully she will be fixed, and hopefully it isn't something that I just overlooked either. It may cost me some money, but i need her to work good, because im leaving for college in about 1 month.

post-14-1088465678.jpg

yea you have the coil packs positioned similar to where they would be in a 3800. Lookin good man. Where are you going to college in the fall?

Looks good. :)

yea you have the coil packs positioned similar to where they would be in a 3800.

I like that on my Regal. Very quick and east to get to.

great job bro! Now you just need a HIGH-VOLTAGE sign or symbol so some unsuspecting person gets 40,000volts should they find it necessary to test the sturdyness of your new coil location while the car is on. personally, I have been shocked by a coil (cracked tower) and it burned the tip of my finger and the bottom of my foot for some reason. NOT pretty at all.

I will be doing that soon, if not completly copying what you have just done.

Hey, thanks guys.

Its my dads impala, has about 105,xxx miles on her. In a few years, he will probably drop in a new engine, or rebuild the current one. He mainly just wants to keep her stock(chrome wheels and aftermarket stereo he does want though).

The biggest pain of the whole thing was the wiring, and that wasn't a problem at all. Just the plugs that plug into the ICM, undo the wire harnesses, and pull those wires out. There plenty long, infact in need to shorten mine or something.

The braces are just spray painted, they need redone.

I'll be going to the University of Toledo, mechanical engineering technology.

Hmm... Highvoltage sign, i just might do that. Glad you like the spot that I chose, its very very easy access.

As for other pictures, give me a few minutes.

Looks nice Chris. I thought about changing the location of my coil packs to be like the 94+ 3.4 DOHC I believe. Are yours in the way of anything...it looks like they might be? I might have over-read it but did you ever put your fan(s) back in? I was thinking that one of the fan blades might chop a wire off.... :?

Another picture, as requested. If you want certain shots, just say so.

Would you mind posting another shot, same angle as the one in this post, but from the drivers side? I just want a better idea of exactly how it hangs before I start making one for my self. Thanks!

- Justin

Yeah, i can get that picture for you, just give me a day or two.

Yep, fans are back in, the same day i relocated them. They don't get in the way of anything, unless you feel like pulling out your computer or messing with your A/C compressor, but then its just 2 bolts holding the hole thing in place. I wish i would have gotten more pictures when it was apart, would have made things much easier to understand. I can do a write up, if necessary too.

very sano looking! thats gotta be a way better spot heat-wise than under that exhuast manifold!...I really like the way you can see the wires now...nice work!