Car fell of jacks Need advice!

Smoke1991

Well, to make a long story short, i was gona work on my cutlass today and so i jacked the dam thing up, 3 ton jack in the middle front, both tires off the ground, then got 2, two ton jack stands under there. lostened the hydraulic jack a bit, as a backup, and removed the tires. Went inside to get a drink and herd a big bang. went outside and the fing stands gave way and the car was resting on the ground with no tires.

After getting the car backup somehow, i inspected the car and found a 1cm dent in my tranny pan, and thats it, now what im wondering, what else could of happened that would need mechanical attention. Someone told me i might need an allighnment done. Now is there anything else i should know about any damage that might of occured?

Thanks, ill be back in an hour, after i fix my jack stands.

I'd check out all your front knuckle stuff, rotors, ball joints, axles, CV shafts, etc. The dent in your tranny pan wont hurt. An alignment might not be a bad idea. Thats really shitty luck though

there is a joint underneath the rotors inwords a bit, it was resting on that

currently i jacked it up again using jack boards (wood) and nothing bad yet, also got my tires under the car as backup.

I checked the lines out no damage thank god, if you know what im talking about, its the lowest part of the assembly for the front tires, look at your cutlass and see the lowest part at the tires. ill take pics later

still scared shitless though

Sounds like the day I was haveing today. I have the Camaro up in the air to work on the Exhust and tighten it up good...and before I get the jack stands under it...the jack slipped out from uner the front cradle and hit the oil pan...needles to say it dented it in enough to make the crank hit it so it sounds like there is a rod knocking. So I had to jack up the motor take out the pan and change it. What a day!

Thats fucking scarey.. good thing you weren't underneigth the car! :shock:

So what happened exacltey, did they break, slip out from under, or what? I always rest the frame on 2 2-ton stands, I know the car woun't slip (less room to work, but I feel safer) but I still wonder how strong those things really are... :think:

shit, i bought a set from pepboys, was using 2 2 ton jacks, they folder up like acordians. well i think somthing got messed up because on the bults holding my tranny pan on, each one has a drop of tranny fluid on em, so i must be leaking!, im so poed right now, and im out 2 jack stands, from now on, im using a flat peice of wood as a jack board. Asfault is unsafe. also on top of that, lol.

i striped a lugnut, gota replace the bolt thing today, its like a 2 dollar item, and a new lugnut. i have no clue how i striped it, maybe because it was 11:30 at night when i was finishing the 1 hour job up. All i wanted to do today was fix the dam dents in my front fenders, god dam.

sounds to me like some one forgot to block off the rear wheels :roll: in front of them and in back of the rear wheels up ALWAYS block off the rear wheels even if you think the parking brake works.

ebrake was on, the dam street was to soft, and the jack started sliding, and going into the ground at the same time. not a big deal now, but does anyone know where i can get a new 4t60 E tranny Pan, i cant find it anywhere online!

i never block the wheels when raising my car and i don't have a parking brake either.

Me neither. I think the problem is the ground was too soft.

NEVER jack a car up on anything other than solid concrete!

sounds to me like some one forgot to block off the rear wheels :roll: in front of them and in back of the rear wheels up ALWAYS block off the rear wheels even if you think the parking brake works.

yea really...are you guys fucking stupid!!! The first thing I was ever taught about working on cars when it's jacked up was to block the wheels. My dad almost got crushed my his MG when he didn't.

^^ werd

I wouldn't feel safe going UNDER my car without the rear wheels blocked. I have a long 4x4 chunk of wood I jam behind them. If I'm just changing a tire or whatever I don't bother blocking the rear wheel, unless the ground is not level.

Yeah I think I should put wood on the asphalt when I work on the driveway also... I changed the oil last time and them things dug in 1/2 inch! :lol: (luckly I had the rear wheels blocked off...)

I always blocked the wheels when I was forced to jack it up on the driveway or on the street when I lived at my parents' house. Now my garage floor is perfectly level so I don't block the wheels, but maybe I should. It always feels real stable without it though, I get in and sit in it and it doesn't budge even a millimeter.

what about that tranny pan people, and also cork or rubber as a gasket,

hehehe

Never had a prob jacking it up, just the ground was soft for a change, ive jacked my car up over 30 times the same way i did it that day.

Anyway, I hate the summer, man cant jack his own car up on the street, what a pitty.

Also a town official came to my house and wanted me to fill out a report about what happened to the 2 year old street. Like he was gona fine me, told his ass to F**K off. the nerve of people to report it to the town people, but not even worry about someones health.

This world sucks.

Hahaha.. I should have numberous fines for chemicals leaking down my driveway into the sewere :lol: I'm not all that earth friendly :P

You could try hammering out the tranny pan flat, if you do a good job I think it should still seal. If not go to the JY and get one.. and use a rubber gasket (duh) I got my last one at NAPA and its cheap and doen't leak.

Rubber gasket MUCH better than cork.

Rubber with metal liners around the bolt holes (like the GM gasket) is the best if you want to spend the money.

Guest TurboSedan
^^ werd

I wouldn't feel safe going UNDER my car without the rear wheels blocked.

i don't know why i should. i never raise the car unless it's on solid level concrete. i don't get under the car unless it's solidly on two jackstands, and blocks aren't going to do any good if the car is already on jackstands.

ebrake was on, the dam street was to soft, and the jack started sliding, and going into the ground at the same time. not a big deal now, but does anyone know where i can get a new 4t60 E tranny Pan, i cant find it anywhere online!

I'm sure I have one kicking around somewhere. Don't know if it would be worth the hassle to ship it from here though.

^^ werd

I wouldn't feel safe going UNDER my car without the rear wheels blocked.

i don't know why i should. i never raise the car unless it's on solid level concrete. i don't get under the car unless it's solidly on two jackstands, and blocks aren't going to do any good if the car is already on jackstands.

that is 100% correct...listen up screwballs! :lol:

Another thing to watch for when lifing cars with a floor jack; make damn sure that the jack rolls freely (forward and back) while you're lifting/lowering the car. This is especially important if the other end of the car is already on stands.

I tried to jack up a car once on asphalt on a hot day once. Not a good idea, jack sunk into the ground and the jack fell over. Barely had the car up so I was lucky.

The Camaro had the rear wheels blocked and in park....The car was sitting on the cement pad outside my house..and the jack slipped for some reason.