Tuneup: Pointers please!

Dirty Rockstar

Ok, Ive never done a full tune up on a 60* V6 before.. I got the basics, but only workin on a 2.5 4 banger, there are some confusing things I see under my hood.. Like, the IAC was just replaced, but the guy said I should clean the inside of the intake out.. up near the IAC.. If I remove the intake manifold thing (THat says 3.1 MultiPort FI on it), will I need to get a new anything? Because I would like to remove it and clean it out.. Also, spark plugs (AC Delcos baby), wires, belt, fuel/air filter.. Id like to do my motor/trans mounts too, but am still a bit in the dark.. I would like the simplest way.. Also gonna do my exhaust, but prolly not at the same time as I still havent gotten my flowmasters yet.. lol.. I am wonderin if I get original Delta 40s, and just paint them with heat resitant paint, if theyd last longer and not rust.. Or are the 40s stainless now? Still giving the ame sound? All questions that need answering, lol.. Any info you guys can give will be helpful though.. Thanks!

You usually don't have to take the upper intake plenum off in order to clean it out. Follow these steps;

1. Get an aerosol can of carb or throttle body cleaner.

2. Remove the air box hose from the throttle body.

3. Start the car.

4. Spray the cleaner in roughly 2 second long bursts, NOTE: you may have to operate the throttle by hand to keep the car from dying on you.

5. Continue step 4 untill the can is empty.

Alternatively you can buy a can of Sea Foam from NAPA ($5) and run half of it through a vaccum line connected to the intake and put the other half in your fuel tank. That also seems to work well.

If you do remove the manifold for cleaning it is a good idea to replace the gasket, but if your careful its not necessary. And if the 3.1 is like the 3.4 DOHC you'll have to buy a whole new upper and lower intake gasket set just to get the upper gasket, so it pays to be careful.

Other than that it sounds like you've pretty much got it covered. Someone else will have to give you tips on doing the motor mounts since I've never done those.

Guest Anonymous

If you pull the plenum off, get new gaskets for it and the TB. Also get a new PCV valve. It's easiest to do with the plenum removed. It's in the rear valve cover.