Car stalling and idling issue

mousetom78

Ok .. it is driving me nut. We have a 1993 Lumina 3.1L v6 has intermittent idling and stalling problems. Sometime it won't start and it will stall. We have to do a neutral drop to get the car going. It will stall in traffic when it runs hot after 15 mins. Sometime, it will run like a champ for little while with no stall. Problems started about 2 months ago and we have been trying to fix since. It is throwing intermittent engine code. We have a computer code scanner and monitor for the ODB I. It is throwing intermitent random codes on us 25 (MAP Sensor), 33 MAF Sensor faulty/Vaccum), 44 (faulty O2 sensor), 32 (EGR Error). 35 (IAC Sensor) Here's a list of items we replaced. Same error codes come back even after we replaced or tried mutliple sensors. How many O2 sensors are on the luminia? Are there 1 or 2 O2 sensors? We replaced the one under the hood in the back behind the firewall. Are there anyone in the back of the car? Is it possible when it has bad ECM or prom chip? Anything else can we look at?

New O2 Sensor

New spark plugs/wires

New MAP sensor

We tried 3 EGR valves from junk yard and we put a "block off" plate

New TPS (thottle postion sensor)

New IAC (Idle Air Control) - 3 of them new and used one from junk yard

We cleaned the throttle body and and platium with carb cleaner

We visual inspected vaccum lines (it looks fine) but we dont have a vaccum guage.

Battery/Alternator test passed with autozone and advance autos

An Spark plug coil module from junk yard and we inspected coils and swapped couple of them but it is still doing same shit.

It stalls more likely on cold start but it stalls when it warms too. It just wont idle but we get it going with neutral drop.

Looks like you checked most of the problem areas. A couple of other things to check would be the crank sensor and the fuel pressure regulator. The 93's only have 1 oxygen sensor.

Did you try and teach the idle agian???,this is what you do

Stalling / Revving Problem Fix, Resetting the ECM.

If you have recently replaced your battery or cleaned your throttle body and your car is now stalling and revving weird follow these steps:

1. Reset ECM by pulling ECM fuse (underhood) for a few seconds.

2. With A/C turned off, start car and immediately put it in Drive with your foot on the brake.

3. If the car does not start initially, keep trying WITHOUT putting your foot on the accelerator.

4. Let the car idle in gear for at least 5 and no more than 7 minutes.

5. Shut off the car for 10 seconds.

6. Start engine, place in drive and let idle for 5 minutes.

7. Shut off engine.

8. Idle is learned.

My car would randomly die and idle rough, but other times run great, after replacing tons of good parts, it turned out to be a bad fuel injector, bad ecm, bad engine grounds, and bad crank position sensor.

I had the same prob with my '95 Cutlass Supreme 3.4L...I had the same things replaced on mine to no resolve. Finally, I had the fuel pump and fuel pump screen replaced and now it runs like it was brand new! Hope this helps

• 3 weeks later...

if you still havent solved the problem, the only other imminent thing would be gasgets! cracked or damged head and manifold gaskets would easily cause performance and idling problems, have this checked out listen for odd tssss sounds under the hood had the same problem replaced a gasket and walah! this is a common problem as cars start to age think of it as a clutch pad sometimes they last forever (depending on how you drive the car; same goes to gaskets) sometimes they dont :)