Replacing LOWER motor mounts...

Jon89le

What is the easiest way? I was downstairs looking and im not sure if i should lift the motors up a little bit and then go to work or the subframe maybe? I have an engine lift here so that'd be how id lift it. Thanks for any input.

Guest Anonymous

You don't even have to lift the motor. Use the engine lift to hold it where it is. Then lower the subframe. Don't forget to undo the steering pinch bolt where it connects to the rack. Unbolt the motor and tranny mounts and the frame should drop.

Guest Anonymous

I've never dropped the whole thing. I dropped the front one time and never unbolted any suspension. Had the front of the frame almost to the ground.

Jack mama!

I just lifted the right side of the engine (pass side) and I got the mount undone and out. I wouldnt touch the subframe unless I had to.

Hmmm.. I need to do my lower mounts.. Also I need dogbones.. My engine moves around so much.. :oops: Ill prolly do that at the sme time I put the body back together..

Guest Anonymous
So you didnt unbolt and of the tierods or balljoints, just lower the frame and thats it? Did you unbolt all 4 engine frame bolts?

I took the front bolts out and loosened the back ones. Then lowered the frame with a jack.

There's not much need to touch the subframe to do the lower motor mount. All I did was raise the engine on the oil pan using a shitty jack and then remove all the bolts to the engine mount bracket and pull it completely out. The only drawback is that it's a bitch to get the holes for the bolts lined up again.

Hmm. Where are the nuts that bolt down the passenger side mount to the frame? Im just recalling now that when i was under there, i saw the "cup" where the mount sits in thats welded to the frame, and i saw the four holes underneath but no studs or anything. Any idea :?

Guest Anonymous

The studs and nuts on the passenger side are sticking through the frame. You should be able to see them. The drivers side are up inside the frame. There are access holes in the frame to get to them.

I just lifted the right side of the engine (pass side) and I got the mount undone and out. I wouldnt touch the subframe unless I had to.

I did the same as Brian.

I used a 2x4 between the jack and oil pan to lift up on the engine. You're not supposed to jack on the oil pan, but I don't think I lifted it more than an inch, two at the most.