Cutty is dead

3_4_cut

hello, this morning my Cut died, when i went to breakfast, it fired right up, but when i went to go home, it wouldn't start, it just clicked, any ideas on what is wrong/what i need?

first, welecome to w-body.com

second, sounds like the battery is dead, which might be a by product of a dyeing alternator. or possably a bad starter.

it took a jump no problem, the altenator was replaced back in 2000 (some 35000 miles ago) and i read somewhere that if the battery is dead, it won't click, how hard will it be too put in a new altenator by myself(i'm broke)?

you said that you are getting a clicking noise....sounds like a bad battery to me. It happened to me last year...maybe you should get it checked out at Autozone or Advanced Autoparts if you live near one.

i thought about it for a little while, like 4 hours, and i realized, if it took a jump, it can't be the starter or alternator, or solenoid, or it wouldn't start, so now i need to learn how to take the little black pins out that hold the windsheild washer fluid tank down, any one?

if they are the pins that I'm thinking of then you can use a flat headed screw driver. If one of the cells in your battery is completely wasted then a jump wouldn't even help, Im betting that yours is on its way out since you were able to jump it.

if you replace the battery get a optima yellow top battery :)

thats if you have the $$$ for one of those, but they are excellent batteries...interstate are top of the line also.

if you want a good less expensive battery just throw an AC Delco in there. Believe it or not guys, my cutty still has the factory original AC Delco battery. Yes it's actually lasted 10 years, and has been recharged 2 times when my grandma still had it. Amazing... :lol:

if you want a good less expensive battery just throw an AC Delco in there. Believe it or not guys, my cutty still has the factory original AC Delco battery. Yes it's actually lasted 10 years, and has been recharged 2 times when my grandma still had it. Amazing... :lol:

I'm pretty sure my original battery was still in my car until I killed it last winter, so like 15 years!! :shock: Pretty crazy if you ask me, but I think they are a great bang for the buck!

my friend just told me on the phone that it might be the solenoid, anyone know anything about that?

i'd bet my money on that, as you say the alt and battery are newer, and the battery will take a charge.

that won't cause a car to start, it will just click like a mofo like you're describing. i believe it's part of the starter itself on these cars, it isn't mounted on the side of the engine bay like on older cars.

get your battery from sears. lifetime guarantee.

die hard's arn't good batterys. they don't last for more than a couple years. you will need that guarantee. they're made by exide, who's own batteries are just as bad

i thought about it for a little while, like 4 hours, and i realized, if it took a jump, it can't be the starter or alternator, or solenoid,

Your starter is fine, however I'd still be sceptical about the alternator.

When my alt crapped out on me I managed to drive the car home (less than a km). I just kept getting my battery boosted it took about 3 boosts (and charged for several minutes each charge) from a Festiva :lol:

At home changed the alt and re-used the battery.

As long as the battery has a charge the car will run, just not very long!

However just to make sure with your car (being it a 3.4 especially) test the battery first.

i thought about it for a little while, like 4 hours, and i realized, if it took a jump, it can't be the starter or alternator, or solenoid,

Your starter is fine, however I'd still be sceptical about the alternator.

i just noticed he said the car took a jump :dunce:

forget my first post about the soleniod then

Kinda distrubing that after 22 replys nobody told him how to troubleshoot his problem just replace parts. :roll:

3_4_cut welcome. If you want the troubleshooting procedure PM me. I don't feel like typing it all out unless your re going to do it.

Jud

i feel like a damn idiot, i put in a battery, and it fired right up, the old one was frigging dead(the positive terminal came off in my hand) thanks everyone