Nice stereo flush mount

GPdriver1986

I wonder if there is much difference between 94-96 radio and 88-93? I'm gonna try to make my own, it won't be as nice as that one but it'll be flush at least.

Yeah, that is nice. How much does a machine cost that could make something like that?

Too bad there's just not enough depth for a flush-mount in my cars. :(

I wonder how close you can make it to flush on 1st gen w's. I hate how most of the install kits standout like 2'', it would be even nicer if it could just stand out like 0.5'' to 0''.

The problem with flush mounting on a 1G is yuo have to trim out the back of the dash. That's why the mounting kit has the piece that protrudes in the front. I do a lot of custom installs, and to be honest it's a LOT of work to flush mount these in out cars.

Yeah, even if we could shove our HUs further back (in early GPs like mine anyways) theres no room for the wires behind it!! When I hooked up 2 sets of RCAs for my amps it was a damn tight fit as it is!

I wonder how close you can make it to flush on 1st gen w's. I hate how most of the install kits standout like 2'', it would be even nicer if it could just stand out like 0.5'' to 0''.

My install kit only sticks out about 1/2", but the stereo surface mounts onto it (not recessed into the kit) so total sticks out about 1". In my Cutlass, even sticking out that far is a TIGHT squeeze in the rear, and I DID grind away some plastic too! I would have to cut out a large amount to flush mount my stereo.

mine actually sits quite nicley back in there, much less than I though. The way the dash is done, it actually sits behind the rest of the dash down there

jon

I did zero cutting when I installed my Pioneer DEH-P4300 in my 91 Lumina. Radio Shack install kit, barely sticks out 1/2".

- Justin

Yes this kit does fit 94 Grand Prixs, if you look through the post you will see that some guy with a 96 GP put it on.

Everyone,Show me pics of other installs on first gen w's

I don't have pics of mine and my batteries need to be recharged.. however I like how it sticks out a bit cause I can rest my hand on the shifter and the buttons aren't too far away.

Guest TurboSedan

i have a 'GM fit' 1.5 DIN Pioneer DEH-P77 in my Cutlass, and it has just enough room to fit. i haven't trimmed any plastic behind the stereo but i'd have to cut some out if i wanted it to go any farther back.

By cutting the tab behind the stereo (deh-7600mp) I managed to get my deck sitting almost flush. Just the faceplace sticks out so it's well with in the distace the factory deck stood out, it certainy doesn't scream "aftermarket system" like it did sticking out a 1/2" or more past the trim.

I actually made a fake cover out of an old factory deck that I need to attach somehow than it will be totally stealth, no one will know I even have a system in it. "Out of sight, out of mind"

Cause that's the only reason they stole my other car, to take the damn stereo!!!

I think the only way to get it sitting any further back would be to hack up the heater box/ducts or get a wireless HU :lol: :lol:

I saw a C3 Corvette where the guy took an aftermarket deck and pushed it in really far in the stock hole, and then made a flip-down hinge for the original factory faceplate to cover the deck.