Long overdue update of my TSTE

Guest fatguy

Guest fatguy

Hello all,

I've been popping in here and there for the last year, but unfortunatly the Formula SAE car and new family has taken all of my time for the last 10 months. Now that I'm graduated and actually have a big boy job, I might have the funds and resources to "tinker" :twisted: with my beast. I have messed with it slightly in the last couple of months and have gotten back to running AWSOME. The only problem left is to fix the overheating problem when the AC is on. This will be accomplished by creating a small shroud around my Perma Cool Elec flex fan. The fan is too far from the radiator and is pulling too much air from behind, not infront of the rad.

The few things I've fixed in the last months are a random stalling, running like crap, and a just not feeling right run.

The random running like crap was fixed by removing each wire connector from the RS elec center, cleaning it, tightening up the connector (CAREFULLY) and reinstalling it.

The just not feeling right was fixed purely by accident. It was idleing and I was using my hand to restrict the air going into the turbo slightly and watching the hoses to see if anything is collapsing badly. Just then, there was a loud pop kind of like putting a rod through a block. I shut the engine down and investigated it visually for fluid leaks. I found none. I started it back up and it sounded differently. I took it for a drive and the stock boost gage actually pegged. Until this point it barely got into the boosted section, but I thought it was just a stock gage. Last summer, I ran one pass on an 1/8th mile and got a 10.8 and some punk broke one of the wastegate vacuum port off of the block, so I passed the rest of the day. :?

Now when you leave a stop light flat footed, the tires chirp off the line, but about 1/2 way through the intersection.....spinning, smoking, make people wonder!!!! :lol:

Thanks for reading, just thought I would update

You have a Maroon TSTE!!! BADASS! I have never seen another person on here with a Maroon TSTE...there are a few with white ones but no Maroon ones...pics??? I've seen numerous regular Maroon STE's, but no other TSTE's.

That is awesome that you got it running like it used to. I did the same thing to mine one weekend when the radiator was getting re-cored. While I had it in the garage and not driveable I re-grouned a few wires, put in some new plugs, fixed a leak in one of the hoses on the turbo, and did the AC fins mod, and holy shit did the car run better. It smoked the shit out of the tires with the stock chip. It did exactly as you describe...a few chirps, then smoke everywhere. Then I got some better tires and that was all over with. Then I got a chip and now I got it back...a chirp or two then a massive burning of tires.

Its great to see a fellow Maroon TSTE member on here. You should run that thing at the track and get some times.

Good luck with that car in the future, hopefully you do some more work to the engine and make it run even better. 13's maybe?

Shawn

• 2 weeks later...
Guest TurboSedan
By the way,

If anyone is in the Sioux Falls, SD area; look for my burgandy TSTE blowing by you

i'm going to be in Sioux Falls over the weekend, i'll keep my eyes open. if you see a black Omni GLH Turbo trying to race you, well...that's us :wink: i'd love to check out a maroon STE Turbo.

• 2 weeks later...