3100 thermostat replacement...

vdaily89

How in the world do I get the back bolt on the t-stat housing off? Do I have to remove the throttle body? Can I do it if I disconnect the 2 fuel lines that are in the way? This is way more difficult/involved than it should be for a simple t-stat replacement.

BTW it is a 94 Cutlass Supreme with the 3100 SFI V6.

Thanks,

Vince

I too have this same problem on my 95 Lumina how do we get to the Thermostat. :lol:

This sucks, doesn't it!! I just want to get this car so it isn't running warm and sell it. This is the worst car I have ever had in terms of being able to work on. It's my wife's car and since we just got her a 99 Lesabre and now have 4 vehicles, this one is gone...

I was able to get mine off without disconnecting the throttle body. I just used a open end wrench and loosed the bolt little by little. Then you kinda have to move the pipe around a bit to get it out. This was on a '96 cutlass with a 3100.

does yur carn really hot ? mine has always been and i never changed the thermostat.

:lol: Dude, your typing makes my head hurt...

whoops damn typos i meant does yur car run hot.

It was a little. Last week I turned it off and the coolant in the overflow bottle was bubbling. Not sure why, so I was going to replace t-stat, radiator cap and coolant temp. sensor for good measure. Not for sure that any of them are the problem but they are all cheap and USUALLY easy to replace.

The only other thing I can't figure out is that I am not for sure if my fans are coming on. Is there a relay somewhere where the wiring for both fans meet? I doubt that both fans went out at the same time. Tried to unplug them and jump with a wire but can't get them unplugged while they are in position and didn't want to take them out just to unplug them. But I may have to.

I did put some stop-leak in the system in case of a head leak and just cross my fingers it stops it if that's the problem.

Vince

I was able to get mine off without disconnecting the throttle body. I just used a open end wrench and loosed the bolt little by little. Then you kinda have to move the pipe around a bit to get it out. This was on a '96 cutlass with a 3100.

I could get a wrench on it but couldn't turn it due to the fuel lines and the throttle body. Tried using a stubby wrench but couldn't break it loose.

same thing here on a '97 Cutlass 3100.....maybe a little bit of operator error.. :wink: