Sub-Frame Assembly - has this ever happened to anyone??

dhs1223

One night last week while driving home from work, I was at a stop sign, proceeded to turn left when :shock: :shock: BANG :shock: :shock: and rather loud BANG at that, and sudden total loss of steering control.

Thankfully I was moving slowly and was able to stop the car and park it reasonably close to the curb.

So what happened??? - The two rear sub frame assembly bolts had slowly backed out and the entire back end of the sub frame dropped which caused the connection between the steering column and the steering rack to snap, no connection between the steering wheel and the road. NOT A GOOD FEELING. :!: :!:

Had it towed to my mechanic and after looking at it the next day, had some good news to go with the bad. Since I was going rather slowly when this happend, damage is almost none. The steering rack is fine, the sub frame and sub frame threads are fine. He suggested the outer tie rods be replaced just because of age, but everthing else seems to have survived.

So after the parts come in and the sub frame is properly re-attached to the rest of the car, I will feel better knowing the front end, suspension and sub frame are all recently serviced and that everthing is TIGHT.

I was just wondering if anything like this has happend to anyone else, or if they had heard of anything related to the sub frame and a problem similar to this.

I know that from now on, I will have anyone who works on the car check that those sub frame bolts are tightened to factory spec of 1103 lb. ft.

It happened to me a few months ago. Loss of steering, then I saw what happened. Called a few dealers. Took it to one, told them of the recall, got it fixed for free.

Which vehicles were involved in that recall? The only recall my car shows being serviced for was for that turn signal stalk/switch problem.

I know that from now on, I will have anyone who works on the car check that those sub frame bolts are tightened to factory spec of 1103 lb. ft.

1103? I'm pretty sure it's not 1103, more like 103... I'm not at home so I can't check, but I know it was 100-something.

Yeah, there was a recall. I thought it only applied up through 1990. If they extended it, I might need to get the 94 done.

Well, I wish I had given it a little more thought after breakdown. My front wheels were tilting outward at quite an angle, it looked very sad and I was afraid that further damages would result.

So, I had it towed to my mechanic, who I have not known for that long but has come highly recommended and the little bit of service he has done for me and my friends who have used him has been great.

It would have been nice to have the dealer pick up the cost of this repair, but I guess I will have to eat this one.

Is there a source other than NHTSA web site to look up recalls. ALLDATA want a subscription fee to view recalls and technical service bulletins. It would be nice if this information was available at no charge. The consumer who wants to better understand his car or whatever, is always asked to spend money for this information.

Anyway, I am getting long winded. Thank you to those of you who have shared your knowledge on the subject.

I will try to become better acquainted with this car and it's "issues".

Is there a resource on this forum that summarizes the common and major issues, safety and mechanical, that these cars have???

Once again, thank you.

Is there a source other than NHTSA web site to look up recalls. ALLDATA want a subscription fee to view recalls and technical service bulletins. It would be nice if this information was available at no charge. The consumer who wants to better understand his car or whatever, is always asked to spend money for this information.

Not open to the public, but I have access to full text for any recall.

Just let me know the campaign number and I can look it up.

I think by law they HAVE to. A safety recall is a safety recall. You might be able to report them if they won't do it. NHTSA.gov would probably have more info on filing complaints and such.

so you mean the free door hinge recall and steering ones have to be performed? cool thanks man i'm gonna go bitch at these fucking numb nuts at the dealerships saturday.

It's definitely NOT 1103, I'll tell you that much..

You'd have to be a strong somebitch' to break those loose if it was 1103..it's actually 103 lb. ft. according to GM repair manuals as Shawn stated above. I think I've seen that 1103 lb ft type-o in some of the cheaper manuals. :shock:

Also try calling Pontiac directly. Maybe that would sway their decision.
ok man i'll try that :? i don't think they can be swayed though cause even the manager was like well um there was a time limit on the recalls if your car breaks we can't help you and yad yad yad basically said my car will end up in a junk yard in a few monthes most likly i wanted to go down there in person and beat the crap out of them :evil:

thats what i thought too dumb ass gm just wants to give me a deal on a new cheap ass saturn if i trade my cars in for one :evil: i said take that offer and shove it up their A$$ i want the recalls performed on my car :evil:

Talked to 3 different dealers myself, because I'm almost sure my engine cradle bolts are loose... none of them show any open campaigns on my VIN. I have no stickers on my rad. support, though. What the dealership told me was that the campaigns expire after about 10 years or something, which means that my car is now officially obsolete according to GM, which means they decided that they don't have to fix what they fucked up in the first place.

If anyone knows of the magic secret code to get the dealership to honor something that isn't in their computers (like AllData, which they basically told me was bullshit) please tell me.

Not open to the public, but I have access to full text for any recall.

Just let me know the campaign number and I can look it up.

how aboot 97023?

how aboot 97023?

Document ID# 890852

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Product Safety Campaign-Rear Seat Belt Anchor Plate #97023A - (05/31/2002)

Table 1: Belt, Center Rear Seat Belt (Complete Vehicle Set)

97023A -- Rear Seat Belt Anchor Plate

1995 Buick Regal, Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Pontiac Grand Prix

THIS BULLETIN SUPERSEDES AND REPLACES CAMPAIGN BULLETIN 97023, DATED MAY, 1997. THIS BULLETIN IS BEING REVISED TO INCLUDE ADDITIONAL VEHICLES

The Highway Safety Act, as amended, provides that each vehicle which is subject to a recall campaign of this type must be adequately repaired within a reasonable time after the customer has tendered it for repair. A failure to repair within sixty (60) days after tender of a vehicle is prima facie evidence of failure to repair within a reasonable time.

If the condition is not adequately repaired within a reasonable time, the customer may be entitled to an identical or reasonably equivalent vehicle at no charge or to a refund of the purchase price less a reasonable allowance for depreciation.

To avoid having to provide these burdensome remedies, every effort must be made to promptly schedule an appointment with each customer and to repair their vehicle as soon as possible. As you will see in reading the attached copy of the divisional letter that is being sent to customers, the customers are being instructed to contact the appropriate Customer Assistance Center if their dealer does not remedy the condition within five (5) days of the mutually agreed upon service date. If the condition is not remedied within a reasonable time, they are instructed on how to contact the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration.

Defect Involved

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1995 Buick Regal, Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix model vehicles. Some of these vehicles may contain a rear seat belt anchor plate which exhibits stress cracks.

In the event of a vehicle crash, if a crack was present, the seat belt anchor could fracture, and injury to the seat occupant could occur.

To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, dealers will replace the center rear seat belt system.

Vehicles Involved

Involved are all 1995 Buick Regal, Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix model vehicles built within the following VIN breakpoints:

Year

Division

Model

Plant

Plant Code

From

Through

Buick

Regal

Oshawa #2

"1"

S1428755

S1464472

Chevrolet

Lumina/Monte Carlo

Oshawa #1

"9"

S9188690

S9262567

Chevrolet

Lumina/Monte Carlo

Oshawa #2

"1"

S1129286

S1159941

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

Doraville

"D"

SD321106

SD366703

Oldsmobile

Cutlass Supreme

Fairfax

"F"

SF300003

SF300032

Pontiac

Grand Prix

Fairfax

"F"

SF213910

SF272700

Important

Dealers should confirm vehicle eligibility through VISS (Vehicle Information Service System) prior to beginning campaign repairs. [Not all vehicles within the above breakpoints are involved].

Involved vehicles have been identified by Vehicle Identification Number. Computer listings containing the complete Vehicle Identification Number, customer name and address data have been prepared, and are being furnished to involved dealers with the campaign bulletin. The customer name and address data furnished will enable dealers to follow-up with customers involved in this campaign. Any dealer not receiving a computer listing with the campaign bulletin has no involved vehicles currently assigned.

These dealer listings may contain customer names and addresses obtained from State Motor Vehicle Registration Records. The use of such motor vehicle registration data for any other purpose is a violation of law in several states. Accordingly, you are urged to limit the use of this listing to the follow-up necessary to complete this campaign.

The involved vehicle computer listing will identify the part required for repair by Subgroup Identification Code for each vehicle. Please only order the necessary parts to complete vehicles with CONFIRMED appointments.

Parts Information

Parts required to complete this campaign are to be obtained from General Motors Service Parts Operations (GMSPO). Please refer to your "involved vehicles listing" prior to ordering requirements. Normal orders should be placed on a DRO = Daily Replenishment Order. An emergency requirement should be ordered on a CSO = Customer Special Order.

Part Number

Description

Qty/ Vehicle

Nut, Seat Belt Anchor Stud

ONLY ORDER BELTS AS REQUIRED

Belt, Center Rear Seat Belt (Complete Vehicle Set) Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Graphite (RPO 12i)

A, H, O

Pontiac Sedan

Graphite (RPO 12i)

A, H, O

Chevrolet Coupe

Oldsmobile Coupe & Sedan

Pontiac Coupe

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Med. Gray (RPO 14i)

B, I, P

Buick Sedan

Pontiac Sedan

Med. Gray (RPO 14i)

B, I, P

Buick Coupe

Chevrolet Coupe & Sedan

Pontiac Coupe

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Adriatic Blue (RPO 30i)

C, J, Q

Buick Sedan

Adriatic Blue (RPO 30i)

C, J, Q

Buick Coupe

Chevrolet Coupe & Sedan

Oldsmobile Coupe & Sedan

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Dark Teal (RPO 37i)

D, K, R

Pontiac Sedan

Dark Teal (RPO 37i)

D, K, R

Pontiac Coupe

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Lt. Beige (RPO 64i)

E, L, S

Buick Sedan

Pontiac Sedan

Lt. Beige (RPO 64i)

E, L, S

Buick Coupe

Chevrolet Coupe & Sedan

Oldsmobile Coupe & Sedan

Pontiac Coupe

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Garnet Red (RPO 78i)

F, M, T

Buick Coupe

Garnet Red (RPO 78i)

F, M, T

Buick Sedan

Color & P/N

Sub Group

Models

Ruby Red (RPO 79i)

G, N, U

Chevrolet Sedan

Oldsmobile Coupe & Sedan

Customer Notification

Customers will be notified of this campaign on their vehicles by General Motors (see copy of typical customer letter included with this bulletin - actual divisional letter may vary slightly).

Courtesy Transportation

Dealers may wish to review Corporate Bulletin 68-05-02A, released October, 1996 for guidelines regarding loaner/rentals.

The availability of courtesy transportation to customers whose vehicles are involved in this campaign is of the utmost importance in maintaining customer satisfaction. Dealers are to take the steps necessary to ensure that these customers clearly understand that courtesy transportation is available and will be provided upon request at no charge. Dealers should submit such claims in the normal manner and appropriate credit will be issued.

Dealer Campaign Responsibility

All unsold new vehicles in dealers' possession and subject to this campaign MUST be held and inspected/repaired per the service procedure of this campaign bulletin BEFORE customers take possession of these vehicles.

Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to customers, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle, or ownership, from this time forward.

Customers who have recently purchased vehicles sold from your vehicle inventory, and for which there is no customer information indicated on the dealer listing, are to be contacted by the dealer. Arrangements are to be made to make the required correction according to the instructions contained in this bulletin. This could be done by mailing to such customers a copy of the customer letter accompanying this bulletin. Campaign follow-up cards should not be used for this purpose, since the customer may not as yet have received the notification letter.

In summary, whenever a vehicle subject to this campaign enters your vehicle inventory, or is in your dealership for service in the future, please take the steps necessary to be sure the campaign correction has been made before selling or releasing the vehicle.

Service Procedure

Remove the rear seat lower cushion. Refer to Section 10-10 "Rear Seat Cushion."

Replace the center rear seat belt system and tighten both center rear seat belt anchor nuts to 35 N·m (26 lb ft).

Install the rear seat lower cushion and tighten bolts to 25 N·m (18 lb ft).

Install the GM Campaign Identification Label.

Campaign Identification Label

Each vehicle corrected in accordance with the instructions outlined in this Product Campaign Bulletin will require a "Campaign Identification Label". Each label provides a space to include the campaign number and the five (5) digit dealer code of the dealer performing the campaign service. This information may be inserted with a typewriter or a ball point pen.

Each "Campaign Identification Label" is to be located on the radiator core support in an area which will be visible when the vehicle is brought in by the customer for periodic servicing. When installing the Campaign Identification Label, be sure to pull the tab to allow the adhesion of the clear protective covering. Additional Campaign Identification Labels can be obtained from VISPAC Incorporated by calling 1-800-269-5100 (Monday-Friday, 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Eastern Standard Time). Ask for Item Number S-1015 when ordering.

Apply the "Campaign Identification Label" only on a clean, dry surface.

Claim Information

Submit a Product Campaign Claim with the information indicated below.

Repair Performed

Part Count

Failed Part No.

Parts Allow

CC-FC

Labor Op

Labor Hours*

Replace Center Rear Seat Belt System

MA-96

V0041

* -- For Campaign Administrative Allowance, add 0.1 hours to the "Labor Hours".

** -- The "Parts Allowance" should be the sum total of the current GMSPO Dealer Net price plus 40% for all parts needed to complete the repair.

Refer to the General Motors Corporation Claims Processing Manual for details on Product Campaign Claim Submission.

June, 1997

Dear (s)> Customer:

This notice is sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic and Motor Vehicle Safety Act.

Reason For This Recall

General Motors has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists in certain 1995 Buick Regal, Chevrolet Lumina/Monte Carlo, Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme and Pontiac Grand Prix model vehicles. Some of these vehicles may contain a rear seat belt anchor plate which exhibits stress cracks.

In the event of a vehicle crash, if a crack was present, the seat belt anchor could fracture, and injury to the seat occupant could occur.

What Will Be Done

To prevent the possibility of this condition occurring, dealers will replace the center rear seat belt system. This service will be performed for you at no charge .

How Long Will The Repair Take?

The length of time required to perform this service correction is approximately 15 minutes. Additional time may be required to schedule and process your vehicle. If you dealer has a large number of vehicles awaiting service, this additional time may be significant. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much additional time will be needed.

Contacting Your Dealer

Please contact your dealer as soon as possible to arrange a service date. Also, tell the dealer the interior color of your vehicle so parts can be ordered. Instructions for making this correction have been sent to your dealer. Please ask your dealer if you wish to know how much time will be needed to schedule, process, and repair your vehicle.

Your dealer is best equipped to obtain parts and provide services to correct your vehicle as promptly as possible. Should your dealer be unable to schedule a service date within a reasonable time, you should contact the appropriate Customer Assistance/Relations Center at the number listed below:

Division

Number

Deaf, Hearing Impaired, or Speech Impaired*

Buick

1-800-521-7300

1-800-832-8425

Chevrolet

1-800-222-1020

1-800-833-2438

Pontiac

1-800-762-2737

1-800-833-7668

Oldsmobile

1-800-442-6537

1-800-833-6537

* Utilizes Telecommunication Devices for the Deaf/Text Telephones (TDD/TTY)

If, after contacting the appropriate customer assistance center, you are still not satisfied that we have done our best to remedy this condition without charge and within a reasonable time, you may wish to write the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, 400 Seventh Street SW, Washington, DC 20590 or call 1-800-424-9393 (Washington, DC residents use 202-366-0123).

Customer Reply Card

The enclosed customer reply card identifies your vehicle. Presentation of this card to your dealer will assist in making the necessary correction in the shortest possible time. If you no longer own this vehicle, please let us know by completing the postage paid reply card and returning it to us.

Courtesy Transportation

Your dealer will provide you with shuttle service or some other form of courtesy transportation while your vehicle is at the dealership for this repair. Please refer to your Owner's Manual and your dealer for details on Courtesy Transportation.

We are sorry to cause you this inconvenience; however, we have taken this action in the interest of your safety and continued satisfaction with our products.

(s)>

General Motors Corporation

Enclosure

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit from the information.

WE SUPPORT VOLUNTARY TECHNICIAN CERTIFICATION

© Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Document ID# 890852