smallest rims that will fit.

canusa

ok so i wnat to get a set of very light rims for when i goto the track? anyone have any suggestions of what rims will fit on my 91 GTP? will the 2nd gen j-body 14" rims fit?

will the 2nd gen j-body 14" rims fit?

Wrong bolt pattern.

I'd look at some of the different GM 15in wheels in 5 X 4.5in. I doubt 14's will go over the brakes.......

Why wouldn't they? 1991 W's came factory with 14" rims.

Which ones?

The base tires I've seen are all 205/70R15's..............with 225/60R16 as common upgrades.

I believe there are also 215/60R16's (Grand Prix's) and possibly 215/65R15's (Cutlass'?) out there too though. Not to mention 245/50R16's on TGP's and a FEW LQ1's.

my regal (91) has 195/75/14 and my friends lumina (94) has the same size tires on it thought this info might help you find some 14 inch rims from a j/y

Regalized

How light of rims are you looking for? If you're looking for racing rims, I would assume you don't want to go too narrow because you won't be able to put that wide of a tire on it, which is obviously bad for traction. Also, tires are heavy too, people think all the weight is the wheels and its not...the wheels my dad has his slicks on are 17lbs, but with the slicks on them they are 35lbs, so the slicks are actually heavier than the wheels. So, going to a smaller rim if you are gonna keep the same OD tire might not help much. I would just try to find a lighter stock wheel. For instance, I know that the 16X7" factory GP 5 spokes are very light (like 16lbs. IIRC) and since they are 7" wide, you can run a pretty wide tire on them also.

I don't know how serious you are looking to get with light wheels, but that should be very good if you're just looking for a little gain. Just as a reference, the wheels & tires on our TGP coupe (16X8 Crosslace, 245/50/16 tires) weigh 57lbs (one of the major things holding those cars back)...the stock wheels on my dads GTP with 245/50/16 tires are 44lbs, and the stock 5 spoke 97+ GP wheels with 26X10.5 slicks on them weigh 35lbs. Taking one lb. off your wheels is like taking 6lbs. off the car because its unsprung weight & rotating mass. 80lbs. off the car is generally about 1 tenth of a second gain. So if you take 1lb. off the wheels its losing 6lbs. So if you drop 10lbs. off the wheels its like losing 60lbs. off the car. 13lbs off the wheels and thats like 78lbs. off the car, which is basically a tenth of a second. So it really doesn't take much to make a difference. And personally, I think that 14's would just look way too small and wouldn't be worth it for the very small gain that you may or may not even notice.

Personally, if I were gonna get different wheels for the track it would be the stock 5 spokes.

Shawn

As for the brake clearance issue when using 14" wheels, I remember reading somewhere that the later 1st & the 1.5 gen W's with the larger brakes may have clearance problems with 14" wheels and that the earlier spare wouldn't work with them. I never tried it myself, though, so don't take my word for it. Only the 1st couple years of W's could have come with 14" wheels - I don't know the cut-off year however.