Wanna do new exhaust on '92 GP 3.4L help?

clemsonfan69

Ok. I wanna do a complete exhaust upgrade. I found the tip/muffler combo I want. But I have a few questions:

WHere can I find the stainless steel pipes for my model (the downpipe from the engine back to the "y" split")?

SHould I look into getting a cat.conv?

Is it possible to run 2.5" from the engine to the "y", and run 2.25" from the "y" to the mufflers?

PS:Any links to products / guides would be great!

peace

CJ

Ok. I wanna do a complete exhaust upgrade. I found the tip/muffler combo I want. But I have a few questions:

WHere can I find the stainless steel pipes for my model (the downpipe from the engine back to the "y" split")?

SHould I look into getting a cat.conv?

Is it possible to run 2.5" from the engine to the "y", and run 2.25" from the "y" to the mufflers?

PS:Any links to products / guides would be great!

peace

CJ

You're going to have to go custom if you want to replace the downpipe because, as far as I know, no companies offer any aftermarket ones. Good local shops can make you a new downpipe that is a bit larger if that's what you desire. For the exhaust piping, go to a local exhaust shop, they usually stock lots of different sizes of piping(aluminized or stainless steel...shop around for the best price, I can't stress this enough). Yes, it is possible to run 2.5'' from the engine(and/or the stock downpipe...if you keep it) to the "y-pipe" and then run 2.25'' from that point on. For a catalytic converter, I would just get a Catco "high-flow" cat off of ebay or any other online stores(there are usually vendors on ebay that sell them a bit cheaper)...a "universal" one w/ about the same physical size as your stock one will suffice. BTW, what mufflers/tips do you plan on using?

LOL its funny everyone is saying Magnaflow. #14804 (Dual Square Tips)

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

^ Thats the muffler/tip combo I want so bad

Now I just have to find the pipes....I just read where a guy ran a new 32" (?) stainless steel 2.5" pipe from the engine to the "y". I emailed him about it but no response :(

peace

CJ

LOL its funny everyone is saying Magnaflow. #14804 (Dual Square Tips)

http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/mirrorfinish/streetseries.htm

^ Thats the muffler/tip combo I want so bad

Now I just have to find the pipes....I just read where a guy ran a new 32" (?) stainless steel 2.5" pipe from the engine to the "y". I emailed him about it but no response :(

peace

CJ

Exhaust piping is universal, do a search and you can buy piping online or pretty much anywhere.

EDIT: as far as that tip choice goes...I dislike those turned up tips. I think the 14861's or the 14830's would look a lot better on a Z'.

I'd buy a universal muffler and use your stock tips. Very few aftermarket tips look good on a Z34. I am using the stock tips, but I moved them 1/2" up and 2" back.

Z? I have a '92 Grand Prix Coupe 3.4L lol. I think the dual, square tips would look sweet on the GP's 'square' body type.

peace

CJ

:lol: Aaron's post threw me off there. :oops: Those upward turn square tips still will not look good on a GP in my opinion, leave turned up tips for the racing Alfa Romeo(155 V6 TI's...60*V6 making around 400hp..now this is a 60* V6 that can rev :shock: http://www.ultimatecarpage.com/frame.mv?file=car.mv&num=756 ).

EDIT: fixed the link

What Im mainly going for is the dual-square tips. They dont HAVE to be turned up, I just have not found any other quality ones that have the look I want.

peace

CJ

What Im mainly going for is the dual-square tips. They dont HAVE to be turned up, I just have not found any other quality ones that have the look I want.

peace

CJ

what about those 14833's?

Also, this place has a lot of tips(that you can likely find elsewhere for cheaper). http://shop.ivalueinternet.com/bigexhaust/index.cfm/action/shop_by_subcat/category_id/91.htm

I'm getting installed(wednesday) 2.5 to 2.25 duals, high flow cat, magnaflow mufflers, and stock tips. I'm just gonna take the stock tips off once i get my car back from the muffler shop and get them nice and shinny. I like our stock exhuast tips.

I am going to say do a custom job. I did mine all Stainless and I did it in 2.5 I did not do the down pipe because it looked like it would not fit any bigger than stock. Look at my cardomain page to see the finished job.

I should also point out that 89GPSE did it the RIGHT way too............mandrel bends (although *I* think he could have gone with a better muffler choice :wink: ). They (mandrel bends) are fairly cheap, and easy to come by (from Summit, JEGS etc) and any decent muffler shop can fab you up a nice exhaust that flows pretty damn well.

And yes.........Mangnaflows (or any non rice/non cheap straight through muffler setup.........Borla, Dynomax Ultraflow etc), sound pretty decen ton LQ1's............and flow at high rpm pretty well too (a lot better than chambered muffler like Flowmaster).

*waiting for 93CutlassSupreme to read people raggin' on Flowmasters*

Dem's fiaahghtin weuurds!

even though i totally disagree, it's not worth getting harassed. a debate is one thing, but an abusive flaming match over mufflers is another thing. i'm sure most of the members here don't want to see that, with the exception of the few that enjoy fights :lol:

it just isn't worth it.

Part No. 35176 These tips ROCK!! The best visual investment i ever bought for my Z. they fit perfectly in the bumper cutout. My muffler shop didnt make them hang out any either so it was lined up perfect, check out my webpage if you wanna see pics. i also went for the magnaflow w/highflow cat upgrade and i loved it, very low (for a v6) tone...

tho i have a question, what is with the current trend with having mufflers with tips poking out of them, whats wrong with tips after the muffler?

Part No. 35176 These tips ROCK!! The best visual investment i ever bought for my Z. they fit perfectly in the bumper cutout. My muffler shop didnt make them hang out any either so it was lined up perfect, check out my webpage if you wanna see pics. i also went for the magnaflow w/highflow cat upgrade and i loved it, very low (for a v6) tone...

tho i have a question, what is with the current trend with having mufflers with tips poking out of them, whats wrong with tips after the muffler?

I guess it's a matter of convenience, not having to weld on mufflers AND tips.

it's not like tips are hard to weld on

three tacks and you're done

I completely weld mine on, not tack weld.

why? they're just tips, if you ever need to replace them it's easier to grind away 3 half inch beads instead of cutting off the tailpipe and welding another one on

that's the way i looked at it. i used cheap tips too so if they rust out i can change them easy, even though they're supposedly sainless i've had to polish out small rust spots already