weird strange idle?

stlunatics2oo3

okay first off i am not totally for sure what is wrong with my car .

it idles real high like say 1200 and it goes up by itself in park

in drive it will stay at like 890 or so but when i drive it for like a block the car fixes its self so i am not sure what the problem is

DO you have any ideas?

i have changed the IAC,TPS,plugs,wires,pcv valve

brian p and i have thought maybe the ecm is goin to crap but maybe one of yall know what it is so help me out

oh yeah its a 89 cutty 2.8 automatic

thanks

Jeremy

yeah i had that feeling so has any one changed the lower intake manifold gasket and if so what do i need besides tools i mean like what other gaskets and some things i should look for watchout for well let me know

plus some one tell me how to exactly do this please some one help

thanks

Jeremy

im actually doing mine today........ mine blew the gasket in the front side of the upper plenum. start the car.... spray it with carb cleaner and see if it sucks it in.. its the easiest way to tell if its a bad gasket.

im actually doing mine today........ mine blew the gasket in the front side of the upper plenum. start the car.... spray it with carb cleaner and see if it sucks it in.. its the easiest way to tell if its a bad gasket.

Make sure you have a fire exstiguisher handy. :wink:

i know robby but it seems it likes to increase the rpm all by itself so i am not sure what it is but i am gonna try the carb cleaner thing soon i am at a friends open house so

thanks for the info

Jeremy

well i did the carb cleaner test and no change in idle , plus i did some coolant type test to check the internal gaskets you like put this pump type thing on where the radiator cap would be and you pump it up to 11psi and then if the gauge doesn't move it means the gaskets are good . so i am not sure whats up with the car

any suggestions

so i know now the gaskets are good .

now my question is would the computer be bad and still run okay ???

help me

update : well the problem is still there but i heard something i never did today i heard the cat. converter makin a rattle noise i am not sure if that would cause the problem with my car or not so let me know

thanks

Jeremy

well i found out my plenum had a crack in it and i cut the car off and i had some power again

so yeah

Jeremy

substitute "cat" for "car" above. 8)

yeah i cut the cat off my bad lol thanks matt was a long ass day lol

No problem, I do that sorta thing A LOT :lol: ..I just go back and edit my posts quickly if I catch my mistakes :oops:

i had the same problemes, changed almost everything with no effect.

This afternoon i decided to change the ecm. VOILA" run like a charme so far. kept my prom .

89 cut sup int 2.8lt