Track Results

god910

Well, you'll soon see why this isn't in the race section. :lol: Anyhow, first run (Off the top of my head) 2.3 60' 15.88 @ 90

I spun ALL the way through first, got in second noticed I only had 4 psi. Remembered the selector was on low, hit it to high, oh shit 6000 RPM, then I missed my 2-3 shift. All that, and I still ran a 15.88 :roll: Run #2 Spun all the way through 1st, all else was gravy but I was only getting 7-8 psi. Weird. 2.2 60' 15.23 @ 91 Well by this time there was no time for another run, I'm rapidly dropping my times, thought I have NO idea what to dial. Probably break out my first round. Fuck it, dial a 15.00 HOPING to break out.

I digress, a tidbit of info that makes the rest of the night interesting. ON THE WAY to the strip I called Tire Barn (Where I was supposed to get my Nitto's from) and LSS, the guy said they were there. So I stopped and they threw them on quick, fast, and in a hurry. Still made it to the strip on time. (Nitto 555R Drag's)

Back to the 3rd run. I pull up in line, next to a 5 Liter Mustang, dialed 15.06 to my 15 flat. Basically heads up. I get a nice run on the tires to heat them up (Can't use the box here, just after the box lit them up.) I pre-stage, stage. Lights come down, tack to 2K, green, dump the clutch. BOOOOOYAH, it hooks like a transexual in downtown Chicago. I make it about 10 feet, and it just revs. Pump clutch, shift to N back to 1, nothing. I decide it's a good time to hit the brakes. This was it folks. 14.6-14.7 no problem. NO WHEELSPIN, NO SLIGHT SQUEEL, NOTHING. JUST GOOOOO!!!! Guy runs out in front of me screaming. I'll have the car towed home on Monday. Let me just put it this way. I can fit my WHOLE fist inside the tranny. Those pics are of the TSS housing (part of it :lol: ) The TSS, and my spider gears :twisted:. I have 2 shop towels, and a hand towel sitting INSIDE the tranny to try and keep the fluid in. I got to meet a bunch of people after that. Lots of track personnel and other racers. I did get together w/ a few guys from Indy. I'll put that in the race stories though. Looks like the cradle's coming out for a Jeff M like ressurection. All new everything, complete re-wire of the firewall forward. (P/O was not as proud as I am) I'll repost later w/ my complete plans. Now for the pics:

Click on the WWW below and look at the new album titled Sunshine at the track. If it's not there it'll be shortly, it takes awhile to update the servers. Be patient.

EDIT: Pics are up, enjoy!!

Yeah, I'm kind of excited to see what happened. This tranny only had about 5-6K on it. I just hope what I find doesn't dis-sway me from keeping a 5 speed.

You know that blows, even though you are a pain at times :lol: (I post a huge half hour long detailed PM back to you and no reply :roll: ) but that does not matter as I hate to see anyone ill’in :!: , really sorry dude :cry: , really really wish that had not happened :evil: !!!!!! I respect your taking it like a man and just letting it go by, can’t change the past, keeping going forward and looking to do more/better good for your car. NOT to steal your post here, just wanted to say I know how you feel, when I got my second TGP home from GA (to MN) I did my best to replace all the sensors and such, giving her a chance to give me the good stuff. New (at the time) just released RapidFire Plugs ordered and installed, their computer system “said†Vin V number 6 plugs which sounded right since 7 and 8 where higher/hotter numbers per normal AC Plugs. Running around logging my runs with a little boost here and there, looked good, come off a highway off ramp and needed to get on it to match the highway traffic, and couple of quick bangs followed, get out of it and it runs rough all the way home. Find head gasket blown, do some research and find (what we all now know) too hot a spark plug AND these had a tip that extended closer to the top of the piston/like advancing the timing, GREAT! Like you, I figure I would take the opportunity to rebuild things while the engine was out. New to this state/city and after some calls “think†I found a good machine shop, shorten the story, NOT a good shop as after the engine was all done (and tranny while there) and started, find low coolant light coming on, check the oil and yep, got coolant! Pull motor back out, find block was decked beveled NOT flat, seems the guy used a sanding disc to deck it (ass hole). Use a better shop, do a few more/better things to the engine and add ARP head studs, “that†ARP said would fit the 3.1L, NOT, even though carefully assembled one stud did not enter the block enough, and 1 week later under a little boost, pops out taking the block threads with it! Get custom ARP studs made, and all the other mods, it has been sitting for 4 years now waiting for me to get to finishing it. So I know how it gets tough at times, keep it strong and do it better next time 8) .

Jeff M

Guest TurboSedan

well definately keep us updated. i'm a little afraid of them now too, ecspecially since mine blew out when i wasn't even being hard on it....just a steady cruise at 30mph and it started making really really bad noises. it was rebuilt at 160,000 miles (right before i got it), and i had about 210,000 on it when it blew chunks.

the one in my car now has 115,000...hope it keeps up! if it doesn't i have the extra 282 in my garage...if that doesn't hold up i guess it's 284 time.

Well, I won't be going to a 284. I need to sleep on this, but the way I look at it, I'm gonna go through this thing w/ a fine tooth comb, and if it looks like the diff. (which I HIGHLY suspect right now) I'm going to talk to Moser (Yes the axle/rear end people, very close to me, and VERY kind people to work w/) about making a diff for this car. I know they do, but hopefully we can work something out, because I heard they are close to ~$800. I figure I will just keep making beefier parts as they break until I have a bulletproof 282. (If I keep it at all now, we shall see) Sorry about the PM Jeff. I haven't even TOUCHED the auto since that night at the track, so haven't had time to put any of your ideas to use. Was gonna do that, then get back to ya. :wink: Yup, I'm not mad one bit about what happened. It just makes me wonder, "This should have been a very healthy tranny, just rebuilt before I bought it (don't know by whom, so big variable there.)" As I see it, when it goes back together it's getting an LSD (to combat the single sidded torque load, hopefully :x ) Aluminum flywheel, and whatever else looks like it may have contributed to this problem. If I can't run 14.5 on a 282 how the hell am I gonna run a 12.9? I tell you this though, if it looks like I won't be able to hold that much power w/ a new one, I'm not wasting a 4T65E-HD on a 3.1, in goes the 3800 S2 Turbo. Show you what a real TGP can do :lol: I need to sleep on it, I'll get the car back on Monday, and see what I can come up w/. I'm gonna need tips on dropping the whole subframe. Plan on replacing everything attached to it, if it looks like the 282 can be reborn (or replaced) :twisted:

All in all, DAMN, those are some sticky tires. :lol: I tested them on the drive out to the track. I used to be able to shift to second and light them up around 2K and 8 psi. (W/ Toyo Proxes FZ4's) But there Nitto's just HOOK. Grab N Go!!

Well I don't know what caused your tranny to fail. The tranny I got for my swap had about 10k miles on it. I abused it for sure and I am sure Luke is putting it through it's paces as well. I never so much as got a missed shift out of that tranny. When the tranny shop inspected it they said it looked like it had been gone through and the quickest way for those trannies to fail is if it isn't shimmed right and you are not using GM Syncro-mesh fluid. Apartently if you are shimmed wrong it will put side loads on the shafts and blam-O!

Sorry to hear you lost your tranny...but don't give up on them...more fun than an Auto any day!!! :twisted:

Yeah, if it looks like they won't be able to take what I'm willing to give them I'm still going to have a 5 speed. I didn't buy all this chip tuning stuff to give up now. But, my goal will be dramastically reduced. I'll probably leave the 12's for my 3800.