how is water getting into my car?need some help please, pics

Goph

ok, my carpet on my passenger side in front of the front seat is stained rust color and i ways thought it was from like pop or something but today i found out that some how water is getting into that side of the car. the foam stuff under the carpet is soaked in water, just took it out and it was dripping water from it. does anyone know how water can be getting into my car? under the car i see no rust or any thing or even holes were water would come in.

also, does anyone know how you get that side front seat out? it go up like 1/2 way but no more so i can't get to the back bolts.

why can't i post pics in here?

does anyone know?

some one i know was thinking it might be a drain hose for the AC, does that sound right?

and is there a thing with all of you going on that say don't reply to any of my topics? Like the last 3 i made no one would post in.

Hmmm... I've seen that problem happen alot in pre 95 Grand Ams. It was due to the warping cowl at the bottom of the windshield. I've haven't heard of it doing that on GPs before, but double check your cowl to see if it's leaking somehow.

Does it only get wet when it rains or is it always soaked? Does it have a recognisable smell? ie. sweet like coolant etc...

It may be best to pull the carpet back to see if a source is evident, but I'll through some guesses at you...

1) Hows the inner wheel well on the pass. side, if it's damaged/missing that caould be the cause.

2) Very doubtful the a/c would do that it usually only leaves oil behind cause R12 evaporates, but it's possible the coolant is leaking out of the heater core but not likely. For your carpet to be soaked you'd surely notice the loss of coolant in your system, and the heater box is designed with a drain to the outside.

3) Windshield leaking somewhere letting water in which follows the bodywork to the floor.

You might have to dry it up then see what happens.

ok thanks.

it smell like wet soaks. I don't think it is from rain because i have not drove my car in the rain for the past 3 times that it has rain because the fact that i just washed it then and it was also going to hail maybe so i really don't think it would be due to rain.

I pulled back the carpet and i don't see any place it could be leaking from at all. if you click on these links you can see what it look like.

http://www.oznium.com/gallery/photos/full/3533/goph-pontiac-grand-prix

http://www.oznium.com/gallery/photos/full/3531/goph-pontiac-grand-prix

http://www.oznium.com/gallery/photos/full/3532/goph-pontiac-grand-prix

http://www.oznium.com/gallery/photos/full/3534/goph-pontiac-grand-prix

does anyone know?

some one i know was thinking it might be a drain hose for the AC, does that sound right?

and is there a thing with all of you going on that say don't reply to any of my topics? Like the last 3 i made no one would post in.

it is possible and easy to check. it's a little L shaped piece of hose on the firewall under the hood on the pass side. if it's plugged with debris, it could cause condensed water to run into the heater box and drain into the car.

does anyone know?

it is possible and easy to check. it's a little L shaped piece of hose on the firewall under the hood on the pass side. if it's plugged with debris, it could cause condensed water to run into the heater box and drain into the car.

thank you.

I have a very similar problem except mine is on the drivers side. You should dry everything off and leave the car sitting in the drive way then either wait for rain or use the hose for 20minutes. This is to prove wether the water is coming from the top or somehow from bottom, when you are drving this might happen. I found that in my car the weather stripping was bad so I tryed to fix it using some plastecine. But this didn't help because I later found out that the bushing on my door were bad and it makes the door stick out a little bit. You should check to see if your bushings on your door are good, you can do this by opening the door, grabbing it from the bottom and trying to lift it, if theres is some movement then your bushings are bad. And you should also take a look at your weather stripping, the places where it is clean is where it leaks.

I have a very similar problem except mine is on the drivers side. You should dry everything off and leave the car sitting in the drive way then either wait for rain or use the hose for 20minutes. This is to prove wether the water is coming from the top or somehow from bottom, when you are drving this might happen. I found that in my car the weather stripping was bad so I tryed to fix it using some plastecine. But this didn't help because I later found out that the bushing on my door were bad and it makes the door stick out a little bit. You should check to see if your bushings on your door are good, you can do this by opening the door, grabbing it from the bottom and trying to lift it, if theres is some movement then your bushings are bad. And you should also take a look at your weather stripping, the places where it is clean is where it leaks.

I really don't think it is from rain getting in because i have not drove my car for the past 2 or 3 times it has rained here.

I did have the windshield leak one time but fixed that with black silicon.

i have the same prob;em with my car when i run the air conditioner, i thought it was the hose being plugged up but it happened to be the plasric cover that goes over the heater core was cracked from rotting or wear or something, so i have to get one from a junkyard, just a lil something you might want to check out, oh also dont let the water sit too long go to a carwash and make sure they have a really powerfulk vacuum and get the water out of your floorboards or it will mildew and mold, trust me thats how i found out i had a leak and it wasnt easy to gewt my carpet clean after that..............just my opinion Regalized

i have the same prob;em with my car when i run the air conditioner, i thought it was the hose being plugged up but it happened to be the plasric cover that goes over the heater core was cracked from rotting or wear or something, so i have to get one from a junkyard, just a lil something you might want to check out, oh also dont let the water sit too long go to a carwash and make sure they have a really powerfulk vacuum and get the water out of your floorboards or it will mildew and mold, trust me thats how i found out i had a leak and it wasnt easy to gewt my carpet clean after that..............just my opinion Regalized

I found out it is some thing to do with the AC so i need to find out if it is a plugged line or what but it is not the heater core.

I have all the water sucked out last night when i pulled the carpet back and i plan on replacing the carpet if i can't get the carpet cleaned easy. was going to do it anyways .

I think this is going to be a bitch to fix. damn i hope i can get that passenger side seat out so i can pull the carpet out more.

Unless it's condensation, which the a/c will only do during use it's not the a/c. Have you been using the a/c a lot during the time that this has happened.

If the car sits outside during rain it could still be getting in causing your problem.

Try lookling in below the wipers and see if there's a lot of debris in there. Other wise it's a fair bit of work to get in there to check, especially in the heater box.

Pass. seat has 4 - 8mm bolts (not 8mm but it works) real easy to take out.

Unless it's condensation, which the a/c will only do during use it's not the a/c. Have you been using the a/c a lot during the time that this has happened.

If the car sits outside during rain it could still be getting in causing your problem.

Try lookling in below the wipers and see if there's a lot of debris in there. Other wise it's a fair bit of work to get in there to check, especially in the heater box.

Pass. seat has 4 - 8mm bolts (not 8mm but it works) real easy to take out.

Yes i have the AC on all the time when I'm driving and today i had it on full for 20 miles none stop. My car is in the garage all the time when i get home and have not seen any rain what so ever for several weeks like I said. It is getting wet from below the carpet not on top of it. and i know that there are 4 bolts because i take my driver side seat out about once a month when i wire some things up just the seat does not go all the way forward for me to get to the back 2 at all.