the car comes back in 27 days. what do I need to do?

zachz34

Rather... my license does after getting two speeding tickets and a one year suspension. :(

Anyway... its a 91 Z34 with the auto tranny, and 158K miles. It ran AWESOME the last time I drove it. The car has not been driven, nor started for over 9 months. I know... I know... bad idea. Lack of money and lack of time prevented me from keeping it running. At any rate... what are the normal things that need to be done to a car after sitting that long?

When I last drove it, the brakes were shot. So I'm sure I need new brakes. On top of that... I tried to push it into the garage, but the wheels (brakes probably?) seem to be locked up. I know that I need a new battery. The intake gaskets were done at about 130K miles.

Lets start a list that I can just give to my mechanic. :oops:

- Battery

- Oil Change

- Brakes

- Plugs, and plug wires

+ Coolant flush and refill

+ PVC valve

+ Thermostat

+ Serpentine belt

+ New K&N

+ PRIME THE OIL PUMP BEFORE STARTING

What else should I have done while it's in there? fuel filter probably? Trans flush and filter change?

Also... the car has an FFP chip that I got about a month before my license was suspended. Should I put the stock chip back in and drive it on that for a while? I'm assuming that the FFP chip has a non-volitale memory right? All that hi-po tuning is still there, correct?

Thanks in advance! :)

You've got it nailed. Just remember to drain out your old gas and put in some fresh stuff. Your brake pads are probably rusted to the rotors. No problem there though, just drive the car a bit to break off the rust. The chip will be fine. I'd just say to leave in the FFP chip.

Hi,

Do not start the car untill you have primed the oil pump. I can not remember what you use I think a 10mm socket but, you put whatever the right thing is on the end of a drill, then pull out the distributor plug and put that down there to drive the oil pump. Do this with the valve covers off and wait till you see oil making it to the top end of the motor. then you are ok to start it. Otherwise you get a dry start, not good. I hope someone else on here can give you better info. Also I would recommend doing you bearings front and back, and bleed out you brake fluid and refill it with fresh fluid. Your tranny fluid should be fine, sitting to long should not hurt it, But I would change it just because of the mileage on it. How many times has it been done before, hopefully every 15,000- 30,000 or so. Good luck.

-Justin

Hi,

Do not start the car untill you have primed the oil pump. I can not remember what you use I think a 10mm socket but, you put whatever the right thing is on the end of a drill, then pull out the distributor plug and put that down there to drive the oil pump. Do this with the valve covers off and wait till you see oil making it to the top end of the motor. then you are ok to start it. Otherwise you get a dry start, not good. I hope someone else on here can give you better info. Also I would recommend doing you bearings front and back, and bleed out you brake fluid and refill it with fresh fluid. Your tranny fluid should be fine, sitting to long should not hurt it, But I would change it just because of the mileage on it. How many times has it been done before, hopefully every 15,000- 30,000 or so. Good luck.

-Justin

Thanks for the reply mang. Hopefully my shop knows enough to prime the oil pump first. :-/ But just as a precautionary measure, I'm going to put it on my list of stuff for him to do. What do you mean by the 'bearings?'

I edited my first post will all of the suggestions so far. Anybody have anything else to add?