Does anyone have an Olds Intrigue or have you driven one?

SigEpCutlass

Guys,

I've decided my next car when I get out of college/when i have money is going to be a 2002 Intrigue GL or GLS with the 3.5 Twin Cam V6. It was the best, and sadly last year for the car. Does anyone know any technical stuff as to how they derived the 3.5L? I'm wondering if it's a restroked version of the 3.4/3400 from the older w's and newer Aleros. I've read nothing but good reviews for the 2002's. Also, I don't think there is a single person on our message forum that has an intrigue is there??? Comments are much appreciated. 8)

I've driven an Intrigue, in fact I almost bought a 98 Intrigue. I think the 3.5L is a Northstar engine, isn't it? I thought it was liek a shortened 4.6L Northstar. I may be wrong, but thats what I always thought/heard. Can anyone verify this for me?

3.5L is a Northstar with 2 cylinders chopped off.

It's a 90-degree block which isn't the best configuration for a V6.

Cant be too bad, the 4.3 was that way for years.

3.5 is a great engine. Just not fun to work on.

would it be like working on a 3.4? I've heard wirking on the 3.4 is a bitch. I actually like working on my 3100...most everything is simple.

Northstar engines have a buttload of parts in them. My dad told me someone took one apart at work, and had 2 stalls full of milk crates with parts. I mean these are big stalls too, so there musta been alot of parts. Newer Northstars are pretty reliable from what people have said though, so I wouldn't worry about it.

would it be like working on a 3.4? I've heard wirking on the 3.4 is a bitch. I actually like working on my 3100...most everything is simple.

Working on any DOHC engine is a bitch.

I know some people say the 3.4 DOHC is real bad to work on, but look at any V6 import or domestic with transverse DOHC... just as bad.

I've been looking at Intrigues for a while now. I personally loathe OHC motors, so I've been looking at the 98 to early 99 Intrigues with the good 'ole standby 3800.

The 3.5 V6 is basically an Olds Aurora 4.0 V8 (which is a derivitave of the Northstar) with 2 cylinders chopped off. It was only available in the Intrigue and Aurora from 99-03 (obviously not the Intrigue in 03) and doesn't have any aftermarket for it at all. GM discontinued the motor when they shoveled the last bit of dirt on Oldsmobile's grave.

In my opinion, if you have your heart set on an Intrigue, you're looking for performance and a huge aftermarket, and don't mind something a bit older, get a 98 or 99 Intrigue with a 3800. If you're looking to go newer than 98 or 99, then get an 02 Regal.

If you really like working on your 3100, then get an Impala with a 3400. The 3400's are no slouch in the HP department, and have quite the loyal following as well.

Just my $.02

thanks for the comments KB.

The only thing that is detering me from getting an earlier model is that they had some serious problems. The 2002 got a perfect 5 in reliability, since all the earlier problems were fixed. Infact, the earlier cars were rated less reliable than my cutty. I don't want to go down, I want to go up. I think the Impala is okay...I just think it's too much of the "big boat" image for me. I don't like how the newest regal's look either and they're so fucking expensive.

I have a friend with a 98 or 99 Intrigue with the 3.5 DOHC. It's a nice car, has a lot of pickup and sounds pretty damn good. We lined up one night, me in my TGP and he in his Intrigue. I beat him, I got a good jump on him though, I had a killer launch and he couldn't keep up. All things aside it's definetely a decent car and the interior is actually pretty nice too.

It's a nice car, has a lot of pickup and sounds pretty damn good.

I drove a couple of em', a few years ago & I liked the sound of the Shortstar too. It didn't have that "LQ1 cacophony", but it was a pleasing sound to my ears. I wondered what it would sound like uncorked & breathing through a cone filter.

That same friend just ordered a short ram intake for his Intrigue.. as soon as it is installed I will take a video/sound clip so you can find out. Remind me if I forget, I don't see him that often.

I test drove a 01 last year and it was nice, about the problem people had with the Intrigue was the ISS, squeaky suspension but know one had a problem with the 3.5.

http://www.pfyc.com has something for them but its not working right know

they also had some serious transmission issues until 2002. That's what has detered me from buying one now. That's why i'm saving up for a 2002, and then I can keep the cutty as a daily driver.

My grandparents had a 98, and they racked miles like you wouldn't imagine. Car driven countless times to NYC (about 400 miles each way) to Seattle, to Vancouver (not from Seatlle, either). That car looks good, is super comfy, and has had no major reliability issues. I loved that car. In fact they sold it and got an 03 Impala and its not the same type of classy car. Its hard to explain. That Intrigue was the only car of its kind here in town, but the Impala...I see dozens (live really close to the Massena NY plant) everyday, same color, same spoiler, lock stock and barrel. Its unnerving thinking that my grandma is going to hear me swear near my friends. :shock:

yea it's for that reason exactly that I don't want an impala. I like driving something that's different. Or atleast I don't see my "twin" every other street.

I drove an 01 3.5L. It's a really really nice car. Smooth ride, comfortable, and classy. The 3.5L has good power and sounds really nice. I can't say enough good things about them. If I wouldn't have bought my 99 S10 I would have bought an Intrigue for sure.