Guage Cluster removal (95 +)...

cryptnix

I was just outside trying to remove the guage cluster and I couldn't do it. I admit it I played dumb without researching it. Its a 1996 Cutlass Supreme. BBender (someone who lives close to me) is going to print them off for me but I had to scan it. Since I thought it was an easy job I tried doing it without looking it up, and have screwed some things up unfortunetly.

It sticks out alittle bit on the right side where the gas guage is and the needle won't move unless its pressed down and now my low fuel light stays on ... I am full ... only 11 miles to my fully filled tank.

Someone shed some light on this subject please... Its all apart right now figuring I can fix it tomorrow easily (hoping anyway) ... so, again thanks for your folks help.

Are you saying you tried to remove the overlay from the cluster with the cluster still installed in the dash? I don't know of any way to realign the needles if you didn't make a reference mark before removing them. Hit up eBay to see if there are any clusters up for auction. You should be able to swap odometers between old and new clusters no problem, just don't remove the needles! If you do get another cluster, then you can totally canibalize the old one to scan for an overlay without worrying about putting it back together...

Good Grief I'm such a dumb ass ...

Anyways, I'll do that, thanks ...

Easiest way to get it to work again is to turn the ignition on and let them set themselves cause the odometer hits the pin ... and the tacho hits 0 when key is initialized... temp (no big deal as common sense tells you) 3rdly ... the fuel guage was full to begin with so i'm not too overly worried about replacing it (the cluster)... I just need to get whatever is holding me out and my fuel light to go off ...

yeah, its all better now ... although i pushed the needles down to hard and they stick at certain points ... no biggy though easily repairable... just wanted my dash put back togeather... funny thing was a police passed by me driving quite slowly as i was doing it (i was sitting infront of my moms shop) ...

but other than that ... it seems fine ... :-D no big deal thanks for your help though (my dad yelled at me ... boy oh boy)