head unit opinion

GPdriver1986

I was looking at some head units, I haven't really picked one that I prefer, I want a kenwood or JVC. But the only thing that I hate is that in some of the decks whenever you want to put a new cd in, you have to flip the face plate. I know that this is to keep the dust out, but I find it a little annoying. If you have a deck like this please tell me what you think? AM I WRONG? or AM I right?

I've got a Pioneer requiring the faceplate to be flipped down. It was annoying at first, but I quickly got used to it. Now its just second nature.

you'll get used to it...plus the dust factor sucks when it comes to burned cd's which give you more problems. My Alpine doesn't have the flip down face, but it if it did I wouldnt mind.

I have heard and seen bad things with JVC head units. I would stay away from them. Pioneer are pretty decent but I would have to say go with an Alpine. They are a little more pricy but it is well worth it.

pioneer are top of the line next to kenwood :wink:

hell its like night and day between a pioneer head unit and a jvc head unit :? the pioneer one is the better one.

Go with Pioneer. Pioneers are built like tanks. JVC's are junk. Alpines are overpriced and overrated (not that they're bad, they just don't live up to the hype.) Pioneers are just as good as Alpines, and you get more bang for the buck compared to Alpine. You'll get used to the flipdown face, and it becomes second nature.

I love my Kenwood HU, and my Kenwood amps! :D

I've even got a Kenwood T-shirt I wear proudly :lol:

yeah its got the flip face, but that way you get more display and room for buttons :wink: . I got used to it right away and I'm sure you would too.

My sister has a JVC CD player in her Sunfire and its a cheap piece of garbage - no power!

Kenwood or Pioneer 100% :!:

Flip face isn't for dust, it's for looks and the bigger display.

It's never bothered me, burn the equivelent of 10 CD's onto one MP3 CD and you're set for quite awhile.

Pioneer DEH-P7600MP is what I'd recommend to someone on a budget. Awesome HU. Gonna put the one I have in the 94 convertible.

Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP is what I have in my truck. Nice HU too, and the face is motorized so you don't have to close it, although probably not worth the $150 premium over the 7600.

I've had ONLY flip-face decks since 1992 and I like them better, it looks cleaner and it's pretty cool to see the face flip down (especially if it's motorized).

I have a pioneer 7600mp
Pioneer DEH-P7600MP is what I'd recommend to someone on a budget. Awesome HU.

Well I see there are at least two people here that think like me. I bought a DEH-P7600MP for my car and ended up buying one for my wife's, too. Can't say enough good things about it. I will mention one, though: Organic EL display. That's worth the price of admission right there! I have a buddy who bought a Kenwood with the D-Mask motorized "auto-disguise" face for $250. His doesn't play MP3's or read CD Text info. When I told him I paid $250 for mine, he asked why I didn't spend the money on a D-Mask and I told him I'd rather go for the features instead of the "Gee-Whiz" gimmickery. Besides, I'm used to detaching the face from my stereo anyways...

But like I said earlier, Pioneer: More bang for the buck...

I've been a competitor for a long time(7 years) and can honeslty say I've had the best luck with Pioneer, Kenwood, and Nakamichi decks. The Alpines are OK, but they are WAY overpriced. Eclipse has a pretty bad problem with the RCA's shorting out and cooking the deck and amp. I've used some JVC's in my daily drivers and they arent the greatest, but not the worst.

Another good one I've been seeing in the comp circuit is Panasonic. I've demo'd some of the GHOST face models, and have to say that I'm impressed! I think I may get one of those for my wife's car to try it out personally.

I've used some JVC's in my daily drivers and they arent the greatest, but not the worst.

man thats the way i am too cheap head units in the daily driver and expensive one in my toy.

i had a kenwood in my car and i jut hated the D-mask and the motorized face. its obnoxiously slow. i had a JVC and the pre outs sucked ass.... my stereo woke up when i put the Kenwood in......... but I LOVE MY SONY.... CDX-CA900X........ for 279 it was well worth it. no buttons on the screen.... all display remote controlled and has a rotary control knob that is cool as shit. Sony is my favorite.. just because they keep up with technology. yes.... they're subs suck.. but the make one hell of a CD player.

Sony is my favorite.. just because they keep up with technology. yes.... they're subs suck.. but the make one hell of a CD player.

there HUs have one of the worst reputations in the industry.....

Sony is my favorite.. just because they keep up with technology. yes.... they're subs suck.. but the make one hell of a CD player.

there HUs have one of the worst reputations in the industry.....

I hate anything that deals with there line of Audio....its terrible! Now there tv's and such are good...overpriced as well

Sony used to make good stuff before XPlod.

Back when they had Mobile ES, that was some slick audio equipment.

Then they came out with XPlod and its goofy styling. They went from respectable looking equipment to brightly colored crap to appeal to teenieboppers with park bench spoilers and neon lights.

Their TV's have always been good, but now that everyone has flat tube TV's, there really isn't anything that sets Sony apart from the rest. Back when every company had bubble-screens, I only bought Sony Trinitrons because they were vertically flat. Now that every company makes true flat screen tubes... I don't bother paying the premium for Sony anymore.

ALPINE

play hard or go home..

had pioneer and JVC and i must say, my new alpine 9811 head unit is at LEAST twice as good as either (any JVC and pioneer) untill you accually own all of the above, then the truth comes out. Alpine is muc better with quality and control...

plus if you decide to go with the 98xx series and up, all the faceplates are motorized, and its alot more convinent then the manual ones. for the lower modles, none of the faceplates fold down, they-re all fixed face.

and why waste your money on companies who's main priority isn't car adio, pioneer and JVC make home appliences, while alpine focus's on ONLY car audio and creating the perfect stable frequency response in a moving vehical.

I would get an Eclipse deck, they sound great....

I agree all the way. I had Pioneers in the past, and they were pretty decent. Then I bought an Awia and that was the biggest mistake I ever made. Then I found a great deal on my Eclipse and now I'd never but anything else. They sound way better then my Pioneer ever did and have awesome security features.