Heads Up Display - Olds Cutlass Supreme Int'l

Stevo

Hi,

I am a long time viewer, first time poster here. :)

I gotta say I am impressed at the interest and knowledge in W-body vehicles ranging from the, just casual wash and drive people to the outright gearheads.

I'm glad that there is support for what seems to be a dying body type despite the increase in import fans and those who abuse domestics by making them into 'import-imposters'. I have had 4 Cutlass Supremes, 2 RWD and now I am on my 2nd FWD.

Anyway. Enough with the butt kissing and onto one my questions. :D

I have a 93' International Coupe and my HUD is non-functional. Despite operating the illumination and location controls it just plain does not work. Is there some symptomatic cause for this or is my situation a one of deal?

I asked around at my local dealer here in Nova Scotia but I realized I may be out of luck when he told me he has never looked up parts for a HUD in the 5 years he has worked at that dealership. Another Dealer told me that HUDs are no longer being serviced and parts are no longer available with only one part located in a warehouse/storage area in Montreal. I have searched high and low but cannot find any info on this problem.

Do I have any chance of repairing this?

Thanks.

Stevo

First off welcome to the club.

Getting down to business though...it sounds like an electrical problem to me. You probably won't like this, but it would be best to take the dash off and make sure everything looks kosher. I.E. wires are intact and going roughly where they're supposed to, no loose harnesses, etc...Second look over the HUD unit, is the light simply out or has is the motor that controls the mirror died and stuck at some wierd angle. Basically just tear it apart for yourself and try to determine "why" its dead. It may be something stupid and easily fixable, nine times out of ten thats the case. Let us know what you find.

Good luck and welcome!!!

Most likely problem is the HUD switch.

I had remotely helped someone to diagnose a similar problem, when he bypassed the switch, the HUD came on.

I'm at work and don't have access to wiring diagrams, but I can get you some more info tonight.