just cleaned my intake/throttle body...

Cornerdealy

I didn't use the GM top engine cleaner, I used a can of the Gumout intake and throttle body cleaner that I found at a parts store. After spraying the whole can, I can honestly say that i really felt a difference. The car rides and idles much smoother now. I definitely reccomend it.

Yeah when I do that to my car I get lots of dirty carbon crap come out the TB. I like to take apart the top so I can clean the IAC assemble seperately. Makes a big difference.

I cleaned my TB last summer and really didn't notice a difference, mind you that it wasn't that dirty. Did you guys have to replace the gasket or is it recommended?

many say to always replace gaskets and never reuse them.

on the other hand some say there are some that can be reused and be just fine.

for me i would have to make a judgement call when i pulled it apart.

when i did the GP i have i reused them as they seemed fine.

last fall when i did the lower intake on my cutlass i bought new ones all around. no gasket was reused.

Monty

many say to always replace gaskets and never reuse them.

on the other hand some say there are some that can be reused and be just fine.

for me i would have to make a judgement call when i pulled it apart.

that depends on the gasket and what parts it seals. obviously you're not going to reuse a cork or cheap cardboard like gasket but some metal and rubber ones like the trans pan gasket on a 4T-60E are reusable

So I'm guessing you pulled the TB out of the car or just left it run and sprayed it in there. I always thought you could do it with the car running, just removing the MAF and other tubes, and there ya go. Or am I wrong?

Running would be the smart way to do it. Doing it while the engine is off is going to accumulate a lof of gunk and carb cleaner around the valves that are closed, and thats going to make for one hell of an interesting start (as in you'll be lucky not to damage anything. Not to mention its going to depoit a bunch of crap on the valves, which is one of the areas where your trying to remove gunk from in the first place.

Ok...so now all I gotta do is grab some carb cleaner (b/c from what i've heard/read, carb cleaner does the same job as the TB cleaner) and let the car have hell.

Thanks

As long as the TB is still connected I don't see why you would need to change any gaskets. Its REALLY GOOD to take the top part off so you can clean the small areas and clean the IAC too. As far as the TB, I like to use a toothbrush to scrub in as far as I can, let it drain out. While you still got some left in the can, start the car and spray it in, keeping your hand on the throttle so it doesn't stall.

I'm speaking on behalf of the 2.8.. I don't know if the 3100 or 3.1 is different for that matter.

all i did was disconnect the air tube at the TB and sprayed in the TB as I opened and closed it while the car was running.

I didn't rev it too high, just enough to let the spray go in. I sprayed for about 10 seconds and then let it idle for 10 seconds. I died a few times.

There was a bunch of muck that came out of the TB, so I guess it did a good job.

I also disconnected that stupid PCV tube from the crankcase to the intake tube. That dirty air makes my TB dirty fast. I made a hose that runs to the fender to get rid of that stinky air. I know my car is probably not running 100%, but oh well.

the 3.4, id pull the plenum off and spend some quality time scubbing it out because of how much crap it collects in the runners. pull all the sensors off, soak it in a bucket of carb wash for an hour or so, then use a brush (i used a baby bottle cleaner) and scrub the runners, TB, where the sensor on the passanger side is and anywhere else.

IMO, its better to clean the parts off the engine so ya not puttin the crap into the motor.

-Jeff